1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: After latest update, HP printer gets hpqddsvc error on every boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Saussure, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

Computer runs on Vista Home Premium SP1. I have an HP PSC 1315 all-in-one printer, which has been installed with the appropriate Vista driver. Last night, I received an automatic update via the HP update service, which was supposed to improve USB and network connection. Since that update, loading Windows takes longer because an HP application hangs, and I pulled this out from Problem Reports and Solutions:

Description
    Service HP CUE DeviceDiscovery Service hung on starting.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: ServiceHang
    Service Name: hpqddsvc
    Image Name: hpqddsvc.dll
    Image Version: 110.0.180.0
    Service Type: 20
    Start Type: 2
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2055

This error is now occurring on EVERY boot of the computer! What I do to stop this behaviour? Thank you in advance for your time.

2. abkTech

abkTech

Disable the service program using System Configuration Utility. Type "msconfig.exe" in Start->Run and press enter to launch it. Find the program listed in Services or Startup tab.

Uninstalling the service might also help.

3. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

Thank you! :-D It worked - I just disabled the service the way you told me to (it was listed under the Services tab) and was asked to reboot the computer; I noticed that there was no delay this time, and there were no more error reports ;-) Thanks again ;-D (y)

4. abkTech

abkTech

Although its fine this file is part of the printer services. If you are fine with it then its OK but at a later time you might encounter another problem associated with this file. Disabling it will not cause a major concern but still you should try to re-install the drivers after uninstalling it as each file has special function assigned to it. If the problem comes again, then do the same as there is no option left.

5. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

I've only disabled the service, not deinstalled it (I have no idea how to deinstall certain services - is that possible?). I hope there won't be any future problems with this file - the problem only cropped up after yesterday's HP update, so I don't even know if this service was around before that...
    Thanks again for your help ;-)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!