1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: After Logon XP Doesn't Work Properly

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TalJ, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TalJ

TalJ Thread Starter

Hi,

I have run into a frustrating problem with my computer, I hope you can help:

After a failed installation of software (installer failed to edit the registry because some components were being used by other programs), I reboot the computer. After the reboot windows logon suddenly asked for a password, which never existed.

My account name is "user" and I have no password, so I simply pressed enter and Windows logged on.

The first thing I noticed was the fact that my network connections were gone, and so I am communicating with this forum through a different computer.

I decided to simply use System Restore to see if that would fix the problem. I am generally very organized, and before every software that I install, or any changes I make, I create a restore point. However, when I went to select a restore point, none were there! All the restore points I have created were gone except for one "System Checkpoint", which was created a minute before I rebooted the computer after the failed installation. Trying to restore to that point also fails. I have disabled Norton 360 before the restore, but the problem persists.

I have checked my memory settings for system restore, and it is set to maximum, 12%, 9600 MB. I don't realy know what System Restore stores in that dedicated space, but I don't think that thats the problem.

I know how to fix the winlogon password issue, but I will still be left with no network connections and the dilema of the System Restore. Also, on startup I get an error for PCSuite (Nokia Connectivity Solution), saying that the application could not start because it is missing something from the registry. This never happened before.

I do have a backup of the registry from one month ago, and would be willing to restore it if it will not harm any of my data.

Also, on right clicking files (not folders), a windows installer comes up and is "Preparing to install...", I don't know what it's preparing to install...then it just quits and the normal info bar comes up when you right click something in XP.

I have had issues with this computer for a long time, about two months ago i sent it to repair after a hardrive failure which prevented me from even booting into safe mode. Hopefully this is just another anoying computer problem which has a really simple solution.

Thanks in advance,
    Tal

2. TalJ

TalJ Thread Starter

Hi,

I managed to solve this problem, by merging my registry backup with the current backup that was giving the problems, and this instantly solved the problem.

After completing a scan with Norton, (which I had disabled as I was installing the program, as I always do to avoid problems...irony..) I found a Trojan and a bunch of programs that looked innocent. The culprit was an infected version of WinRAR, that program edited the registry.

The moment I completed the scan with Norton, it immediatly pointed and quarantined the version of WinRAR as well as finding the Trojan.

Anyway the problem is solved, and from now on I will never disable Norton or any anti-virus while installing programs!

Tal

3. 12tipp12

12tipp12

Well done, that took some working out.

Bill

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/760865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice