1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: After Reformat Win Updates Won't Install

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by log_splitter, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. log_splitter

log_splitter Thread Starter

I saved most of the Windows Updates to a CD, and used them once before. It worked just fine. Now, I've had to reformat and, when I try to install them again, I get the error window that the update "is not a valid Win32 application." I'm also getting that error message with the DX81 (DirectX 8.1) install program...again, it worked fine before.

After formatting and reinstalling W98SE, I also manually installed VBRUN, mscomctl.ocx, and MCI32.OCX (I had to do that before, too). Is there something else....maybe another file or program...I'm supposed to manually install, but might have missed? Is there another reason these updates and DX81 won't work now?

Thanks for any thoughts.....

2. LuckyStrike

LuckyStrike

3. log_splitter

Thanks for trying, Lucky, but no go. I tried the installer d/l.....when I tried to install it, the installer said it already exists.

I tried copying just one of the update install programs (like I said, they all used to work) and pasted it to Program Files. Tried to install from there, but same thing.....it says it's not a Win32 application.

Also, I notice that all of these update install programs, as well as DX81 installer, have changed their icons. They used to have unique icons, but now are all like blue-rimmed windows. I still have to wonder if there's something more I need to install to make this right.

Just for the sake of doing it, I started all over.....reformatted again and reinstalled everything again. All went in just fine, like it's supposed to. Everything else is working....only the updates and the DX81 installer are doing this.

Anyhow, thanks for the thoughts :)

Best....log_splitter

4. LuckyStrike

LuckyStrike

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the last time I downloaded a stand-alone disributable version of a Windows update it came in an executable with an .msi file extension. What is the file extension of the update files stored on your CD?

If the file extension is .msi, then checking my own computer under
    Windows Explorer>View>Folder Options>File Types I see that the default file association for Windows Installer Packages (msi) is MSIEXEC.

Do you have the same file association? The reason I ask is that a change of icons suggests a change of file associations.

5. hewee

hewee

Maybe update IE will help because after I installed 98 I had to have a newer version of IE before I could run windows Update so installing from the CD it may need the same newer IE.

6. log_splitter

Thanks, both, for the thoughts. I'm using IE 6.0 SP1 (installed from the same CD as before the reformat, so it's the same version).

The only reason I'm pursuing this, BTW, is that it can take hours to d/l & install all the updates (I'm on dial-up, and have only one phone line, so have to do it at night). One of the problems with that is doing the ones which need to be installed separately from other updates. Anyway, I can still do it that way if need be, but I know for a fact the ones I saved used to work, as did the DX81 installer.

I don't know if this will help, but I did a screenshot of the Properties window for the update I copied to the HD, and one of what the icon used to look like (circled in green, showing what it looked like before and what it looks like now). It is at http://atlas.walagata.com/w/riven08/update3.jpg (**You may have to click on the little square at the bottom right, with the arrows, to get it to pop up to full size**)

Maybe that will give you some clue. If there are other screenshots which may help, let me know and I'll put those up, too.

Thanks again for the help, by the way. Much appreciated. :) (y)

7. LuckyStrike

LuckyStrike

I am pretty much tapped out as far as my knowledge is concerned, but based on what I have read after googling the problem I would make the following suggestions:

*Clean your CD-rom drive.
    *Clean the CD disc.
    *If you have not already, install Microsoft Office or Microsoft Works Suite, if you have it. (I don't know why, but this was suggested as a work-around for a similar problem, perhaps some needed application is installed along with it.)
    *Copy the update installer files to a directory other than the Program files directory. Perhaps you could copy the files to a newly created folder on your desktop, and run them from there.

Not A Valid Win32 Application

8. hewee

hewee

Yea I don't know just what is going on either. Never did the updates from a CD either so don't know how it all works. The file you have a screen shot of is not on my PC either but lots of the updates you get are that way using Windows update because of the dates you downloaded what ever update and the order of the updates and some are updates for updates or patches etc so if I was to have all the updates and use say Belarc Advisor that list all the updates I have it would not be 100% the same as someone else even if we both have all the updates.

Now if you know someone that has cable or DSl see if you can take your PC over to there place. Your need a network card so if you don't have one they are cheap so get one.
    Get windows installed and all updates and then make a backup image of the drive.
    Now if you ever have to redo your PC your have the backup. You may not want to have all you other hardware on the backup or just make two backups so one will have all you need on it and the windows updates and then another backup for all the other hardware you have.
    Doing a restore from a backup image of the drive will be soooooo many times faster too.

9. log_splitter

I'm a bit embarrassed over this, but it's working now :eek: You see, I've got several restore CD's I made, and totally forgot I had also saved the updates on a different disk. I put in the other one, looking for something else and found the updates on that CD, too, so I tried....and it works. Apparently, I've got a damaged CD (after looking closer, it does have a pretty good scratch on it). I had 23 updates saved on the second disk, and they installed just fine. If I had realized I had them saved on two CD's and tried the second one, I wouldn't have had to start this thread :rolleyes:

Anyway, I really do appreciate your replies and for hanging in on this. Thanks so much (y)

If nothing else, I guess this is a good argument for making multiple backups :)

Best....Larry

10. hewee

hewee

Well that is good to hear. :)

But hey posting is ok because you can tell us how you did all the updates from CD and how you installed them. I mean there are so many so what order did you do them in?

Now do a clone image of your drive.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437752

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice