1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: After System Recovery Owner Documents Access Denied

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wendyah, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wendyah

wendyah Thread Starter

I performed a System Recovery. I installed Word and went to access my Owner documents from the Backup File that was created during the Recovery. However, I now get this error message: C:\My Backup-10-01-18 0912AM\Documents and Settings\Owner is not accessible. Access is denied. So I have LOST all of my work. However, I can easily access any and all files under the Guest profile. Can anyone help me figure out what happened to the Owner profile?

thank you!

2. Sponsor

3. Joanyoung

Joanyoung

4. wendyah

wendyah Thread Starter

Thanks Joan. However, I have already tried this method and I can't get through all of the steps. Specifically, I don't even have a "Use simple File Sharing" box to uncheck. Does that mean it's already cleared?

The Owner's Document's file currently shows that it's empty. Where did all of that data go? This is a terrible predicament.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

6. wendyah

wendyah Thread Starter

Actually, just went through all of the steps. Same result. When I click on the Owner file under Documents and Settlings it says "Folder is Empty". How can I recover these lost files? Obviously there was a problem during the system recovery because I the other profiles such as my husband's and Guest are all there, just not mine. My profile was password protected and the others were not. That's the only thing I can even think of that was different.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

It is only a permissions problem. You need to take ownership. Please read the directions again. Use the attached file above to make the Security tab appear.

8. wendyah

wendyah Thread Starter

I thought I had already posted this but it worked! THANK YOU!!! It didn't take the first two times I did the steps. I think something else is going on as I can no longer access the internet via my wireless connection but I have my files!!! Thank you!!!

Best,
    Wendy

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

You are welcome to start a new thread about another problem.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the button above.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!