1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: After Windows Update, no NIC driver

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rvalentino, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rvalentino

rvalentino Thread Starter

I have a client whose PC I have not had a chance to look at yet. Her issue is as follows...

A week or 2 ago, her PC auto-downloaded the Windows XP updates, and afterwards she was not able to get on the internet from that PC, but confirmed the internet connection was good (XBOX was able to connect). After rebooting, she went to network connections - no LAN connection present. She called Gateway (mfg of PC) who stated they are aware of the Windows XP updates corrupting the NIC drivers and have had "thousands of reports" similar to hers. They emailed her a link to the new NIC driver and advised her to reinstall it. She downloaded it (from work), put on USB stick, brought home, installed w/ no success...still no LAN connection in control panel. As far as I know, she has not re-contacted Gateway. She ran Windows restore back to a date she knew the Internet worked, no sussess, same symptoms. One idea which I haven't had her try yet is to try and ping 127.0.0.1 to verify NIC. I am going to her house to assist tonight and am looking for any input. I did some google searches and was unable to find anything from Microsoft or Gateway. I'm thinking if I can't get her current NIC working, I might just buy her a new one. Has anyone heard of this issue? Any ideas to repair?

Thanks
    -Ray

2. rvalentino

Well, I went to her house and worked on the issue. Device manager was not seeing the NIC. Checked BIOS, NIC enabled. Disabled, rebooted, re-enabled, rebooted, still not seeing NIC in device mgr. Did not have tools to flash BIOS on hand. Took PC home w/ me, installed spare PCI NIC, which auto-installed when windows booted and worked fine and shows up in device manager, ALONG WITH THE ONBOARD NIC WHICH WAS NOT DETECTED PREVIOUSLY. Why would that happen? Assigned IP's to onboard NIC, able to connect. Took out PCI NIC, rebooted, onboard NIC still fine, didn't have to load any drivers at this point. PC has been fine for almost 48 hours, but I think the onboard NIC might be going bad, there was a problem w/ the BIOS, etc. Any input is much appreciated....this issue is mind bogling.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Is this really solved?

4. rvalentino

Glad to see you are more concerned with whether the issue is "solved" or not than the actual issue itself. Throw me a bone.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's marked "solved" wiseguy. :rolleyes: That's why I asked. Only you or a mod can mark it, and I didn't mark it.

6. rvalentino

I marked it solved because the NIC works now. Does that help, old man?

7. rvalentino

By the way, you have not contributed to this thread in any positive way. But thanks for your help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice