1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Aftermarket Cooler worse than Stock?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rivo2006, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rivo2006

rivo2006 Thread Starter

Recently bought an Artic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro. Im not planning on doing any major overclocking, just want a little headroom to up my Core i7 920 over the 3ghz mark.

On first installation the temps werent great, I put that down to the pre-applied thermal paste. So I cleaned it off and put on the Arctic Silver 5. Im pretty pissed off to see that the temps are still near enough if not worse than stock cooling. With the system running at stock settings, the cpu is idling at 40degrees and 5 minutes of Prime95 pushes it over the 80 degree mark and climbing. At this rate, I havent a hope of overclocking the cpu past 2.6 as it can't even cope with that. Artic Cooling state on the box that the cooler should be able to get an overclocked i7 920 @ 3.6ghz down to 49 degrees!!

Any suggestions as to what the problem may be. Im using a Coolermaster CM 690 case with front rear and side 120 case fans. Even with the side panel off, it only makes a difference of 2 or 3 degrees but the readings are still way over what they should be for a system running at stock speed. :confused:

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Arctic cooling makes decent products. I have an older arctic freezer 64 pro that keeps my amd 965 [overclocked to 3.9gig] running @ 35C.

Most of the time the problem with the intel type cpu coolers is that you do not have all four push pins fully engaged. Does your cooler use these or does it use a backplate and real screws?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item; the arctic freezer type coolers must be oriented in the correct direction. The fan must blow air through the cooler and toward an exhaust fan in the rear of the case.

4. rivo2006

rivo2006 Thread Starter

The fan on the Artic Cooling Freezer 13 uses a 4 pin PWN fan connection. I know this is working as the fan does go up and down through the rpm range depending on cpu load. Its connected to the motherboard with mounting and push pins which expand and wedge in the holes in the mobo (no backplate etc)

About the positioning, yeah I did check that on a video. The supplied fan is pushing air through the cooler and into my exhaust fan on the back.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, did you pull the board to install the cooler? If not is VERY possible you do not have it installed correctly. I always recommend pulling the board to install an intel type cooler. This is for two reasons;
    1 With the board out of the case you can inspect the underside and check that all four push pins are fully engaged or seated.
    2 If you do this in the case, you have to push so hard to seat the pins that I am always scared of cracking the mb pcb OR breaking a solder trace on the board.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW the heatsink on an intel type cooler MUST contact the cpu heat spreader with a min of 15~17lb of clamping force. Less than this and it will overheat.

7. rivo2006

rivo2006 Thread Starter

I didnt move the board (one of the reasons for getting the cooler was to avoid this hassle!) but when I clicked in the mounting pins and pushed the push pins through them, it seemed I had pushed as far as possible. Also looking at installation videos online, it doesnt seem that any incredible force is needed to install the mounting bracket. I will check it though.

Aside from that, the cooler is fitted to the mounting bracket with 2 small screws. I tightened these to the last, anymore and I reckon I could crack through the plastic bracket. But if there was a little more to be tightened on them, would this make a difference too? Or is it all down to the mounting bracket?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW the thermal pad that comes on the cooler is just fine. FWIW I have used both the thermal pad and A/S and really could see no difference between the two. Use A/S when you have removed the cooler for any reason; ie cpu upgrade, mb swap, etc.You can replace the push-pins with a backplate and real screws if you have problems with the pushpins. Here is an example. This is for a socket 775 however they are available for most intels.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835117024

9. rivo2006

rivo2006 Thread Starter

Ive decided to return it. Eventually reseated it 3 times (all with new applications of AS) and at one point it flew up to 90 degrees after 3 mins of p95 at stock. It has to be faulty. Popped in the old stock cooler and everything is back to normal temperature wise. There are too many happy customers of Artic Cooling products out there so I think I was just unlucky and got a dud. :(
    Thanks for the input anyway, as always. (y)

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It might be that the bottom of the cooler is not flat. If it is warped, it does not make good contact with the cpu. Usually this is a problem with the coolers that have the heat pipes directly contacting the cpu. Yours should have a plate that the heat pipes go through and is not generally prone to this issue.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!