Solved: AGP slot-old vs. "new"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

junker39

I know I'm about three years behind the technical advances and this is a new one on me. I've got a Gigabyte 8S661 FXM RZ motherboard with a P4-1.6ghz.(somebody's curbside treasure) I dug an old AGP vid card out to see if I could get a POST out out of it without using the onboard graphics. All of my older 8-32MB cards have a slot in the plugin toward the front of the card. This "newer" MB has the slot near the back in the block. I've attached a couple of old MB and new MB pics so I'm halfway clear on this. The older blocks are wide open and the cards fit. All my cards except one, won't go with the block like that. Is this made so an older 2X card will not install in a newer board? What is the "cutoff" on the cards vs slot? 2X, 4X, or what? I've got to get back into this stuff and leave the cars and work alone. Thanks.

Attachments

junker39

I got it to POST both ways OK. I have never used any onboard graphics on any machine I've ever had. It was just natural to throw in a card. Any idea on why the different AGP slots?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
They run on different voltages. Yours is the old 1x/2x slot it looks like. You can NOT use the modern cards, which run on lower voltages in that machine.

junker39

Thanks JohnWill. I guess I need to stock up on a little newer old stuff.

junker39

O.K., now if someone will remind me how to mark this Solved. I click on Thread Tools and it takes me to the Quick Reply box.

junker39

Thanks. I had to open the thread with IE to get the drop down menu in Thread tools. Firefox didn't want to do it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts