1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] AHH! Help!! Brand New Asus A7N8X Deluxe Troubles!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ReNxWar, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ReNxWar

ReNxWar Thread Starter

Just bought a brand new Asus A7N8X Deluxe AMD Athlon motherboard.

Currently running AMD Athlon XP2600+, 512mb PC2700 DDR ram, 128mb Geforce4 MX440 Video Card, 30gig Maxtor HD, 52x24x52x Pacific Digital CDRW..

After putting everything in, with the exception of the extra goodies that come with the motherboard (Not changing ANY jumper settings, because they didn't say I had to in the instructions, which could be the problem) I start the computer up...everything starts up. Fans, Video Card's Fan, the CPU Heatsink, etc. The monitor stays blank. I tried running it for over a minute, and still nothing. The green light goes on showing that the motherboard has power, and the red light (right below the AGP slot, if it goes on then theres a problem with the video card) doesn't go on, but if I take out the video card, it still doesn't come on..which makes me believe that the AGP slots defected.

I've also tested the video card in my other computer, and it works fine...Hopefully this is a simply fixed problem, and I can get my new motherboard up and running soon...Thanks in advance.

2. mobo

mobo

Is the onboard video disabled in the bios ?

3. ReNxWar

ReNxWar Thread Starter

I cant get into bios, I have no picture.

4. mobo

mobo

Can you get any picture without the GeForce ? If so then disable it without the card in.Then power down , install the card and commence to powering up.

5. mobo

mobo

Also make sure the mobo isn't in contact with the case..

6. ReNxWar

ReNxWar Thread Starter

Ok, first...I dont think this has onboard video, so it wont get any picture without the card (no place to plug the monitor on)

And contact with the case? like how? ...its screwed in.

7. WarC

WarC

Make sure there are no extra standoff screws that are poking your motherboard where it don't wanna be poked! Even if you're sure, double check. I had the same problem with the A7V-266 in my computer. Battled the thing for days (and joined this board because of it) only to find out I had place an extra standoff that I thought aligned with one of the holes but didn't. Also, make sure your processor is seated correctly...another common occurance in these situations. Take the processor out, check the pins, etc...also a good time to double check your heatsink if you so wish.

8. ReNxWar

ReNxWar Thread Starter

I think what happened was the AGP slot got fried.. When I first installed it, I booted it up, nothing happened, so I took off the side panel and saw the video card was alittle loose. Not even thinking, I wiggle it alittle and put it back in, and the system shuts off. Again, the "Incorrect" AGP slot light doesn't come in, even when the video card isn't in it.

9. mobo

mobo

Probably not as it didn't boot in the first place. Try removing the cmos battery for 10-15 minutes..As well have you checked the ram ?

10. ReNxWar

ReNxWar Thread Starter

I checked the screws, they're all being nice to her. I took off the heatsink, took out the processor, put them both back on...and for the for the hell of it, I put in my other 128mb of PC2700DDR in slot 2. After starting up, I hear a "Beep", then a couple seconds later the monitors green light goes on. A couple seconds after that, both green and orange go on. Still no picture, however.

11. ReNxWar

ReNxWar Thread Starter

...and after another boot, sucess! ...getting some errors, but atleast theres picture.

12. mobo

mobo

Again watch the ram closely here.

13. ReNxWar

ReNxWar Thread Starter

I think it was the ram, I've had trouble with this one for awhile now. Its the generic ram from smksuperstore.com...got it the 8th of Sept., then after half an hour it just stops working. I tried everything, but it didn't work. So, I sent it back. A month and an half goes by, and they send me back the same damn ram stick. They said "Pre-tested, was fine" For some reason, it works now...but I ocassionally have to take it out and put it back in. Wont matter much, for christmas I'm getting OCZ Platinum Dual-Channel ram. I'm just never buying ANYTHING from smksuperstore again. Thanks for all the help, guys.

14. ReNxWar

ReNxWar Thread Starter

One more question...In the Hardware Monitor (BIOS) it says the mobo is running at 77 degrees C (170 degrees F) ..This seems alittle hot to me, is this alright?

15. mobo

mobo

thats hot even for an athalon. do you have thermal paste on the cpu...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173365

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice