1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Airflow setup. Case fan and CPU cooler

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Venae, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Venae

Venae Thread Starter

Hi!

I'm looking to get the airflow inside my PC case sorted out because I'm seeing some temperatures that are higher than I'd like them to be, e.g. CPU regularly reaches 60°C upwards. GPU and MB also get too hot.

But I don't know what fans are good or bad! I'm willing to replace the ones I already have but I definitely need some tips and advice.

I currently use my PC mainly for gaming, so something quiet but efficient is essential.

My PC case is a Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl, currently fitted with:

My PC Specifications

My CPU is currently fitted with the stock cooler, and I'm planning to move from 1x SSD, 2x HDD to 2x SSD, and remove the hard drive cage.

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

Pics of your current setup would help.

3. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

How are these fans blowing?

What is your ambient room temperature?

4. Venae

Venae Thread Starter

Pics attached.

Front fans are intake, rear is exhaust, all about 800-1000rpm. Ambient room temp varies between 18°C and 25°C+ approx, I don't have an accurate way of measuring.

Right now the heating has been on all day, and the CPU is 57°C, whilst MB is 34°C. Eek!

Attached Files:

5. replay

replay

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

Those temps aren't terrible, especially with any kind of load. Ambient temperature would also be a factor.

I agree with replay...3rd party CPU cooler would be a good idea.

7. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

You might also change your fans around. Negative air pressure is proven to lower case temps, not drastically but some.

8. Venae

Venae Thread Starter

It's not terrible true, but with this CPU the safe limit is lower than most, at 62°C. So I'm looking for an AM3+ cooler to replace the stock with, but having trouble finding one that will fit without being too close to the RAM sticks.

So, I'd have my two front fans as exhaust and rear as intake, or just reverse the front two? :S

9. prunejuice

prunejuice

Your fan orientation is fine. Air comes in the front...out the back. Don't change it.

Would you consider closed loop water coolers like the Antec Kuhler? They're fairly cheap and in a push/pull fan setup, they are fantastic cooling solutions.

Here's my setup with a closed loop cooler on both the cpu (FX-6100) and gpu (GTX 550ti)

[​IMG]

10. Venae

Venae Thread Starter

I would love to have one, over a normal fan.

But now you've got me split between a Kuhler h2o 920 (£74), or a Noctua NH-D14 (£55) :)

11. replay

replay

12. Venae

Venae Thread Starter

Hi!

I was tempted to get a Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme, because of future build plans, but since the D14 was half the price and did the job I needed I got that, and now it's been installed since Friday.

So I'm now seeing a big difference in temps =)

Before, on stock cooler, stock clock speeds (3.6 Ghz);
    Idle - Core temp: 45°C upwards, Physical temp: Approx 61°C
    Load - Core temp: 60°C upwards, Physical temp: Don't even go there, occasional shutoff @ 90°C

After, D14, overclocked (4.319 Ghz);
    Idle - Core temp:6°C ~ 12°C Physical temp: 25°C or something
    Load - Core temp 27°C +/- 5°C Physical temp: 51°C

Max temp I've seen so far is 51°C, whilst overclocked, playing Far Cry 3 at Ultra settings, with Fraps recording at 1:1. With prime95 running for a while highest core temp has been 46°C. Yay!

I have a couple of questions though.

1. In my case I have vents for 7 x 140mm fans. Clockwise: 2 Top, 2 Front, 1 Bottom, 1 Side panel, 1 rear. If I had 7 fans, what would be the optimal orientation? I.e. Would more intake make the D14 more efficient, versus outtake?

2. My motherboard has 8 fan connectors. 2 x CPU, 3 x Chassis, 3 x Optional. Connected to them are the D14 which take up the two CPU fan connectors and 4 x Fractal Design Silent Series R2 140mm fans (3 connected to Chassis, 1 to Optional). All are 3 pin.

But, I cannot control RPM of these fans, and only 3 of the 4 Fractal Design fans appear in BIOS (They aren't faulty, the BIOS just doesn't seem to acknowledge more than 3 fans). Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this a limitation of the motherboard?

13. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

More out is better, that creates negative pressure.

I would say going to a negative setup and adding a good heatsink / fan would solve your issue. Of course a water cooler is even better, but... That is water in your case that could leak and destroy your rig.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice