1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Airport Extreme with RAID HDD

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cwatson69, Dec 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwatson69

cwatson69 Thread Starter

I have a MacPro1,1 (2007) running Mac OS X 10.6.8 and a MacBook Pro 9,1 (2013) running Mac OS X 10.10.1. I am using an Apple Airport Extreme for my wireless network. I have an external hard drive connected to the Airport Extreme via the USB port on the Airport Extreme. I'm wanting to replace the external hard drive with a Guardian MAXimus 2TB RAID-1. Will a RAID work with the Airport Extreme? I'm not using this for my Time Machine backups - only as a means to easily share my files.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It'd doesn't matter from a networking perspective if the device has RAID or not; the device shows itself as a single drive or however it's configured to be accessed. However you may have better performance if you get a NAS and have it on the network as opposed to being shared through the router via USB.

3. cwatson69

cwatson69 Thread Starter

I've try connecting the RAID to the Airport Extreme and it does not show it in the Airport Utility. Therefore it doesn't show up as being available on either computer. I tried attaching an external drive and it shows up in the Airport Utility and I can read and write to it on both computers.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Does the drive work when connected directly the computer? It may need some initial setup.

5. cwatson69

cwatson69 Thread Starter

It works fine connected to either computer.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is there a firmware update for the Airport? What file system is the external drive?

7. cwatson69

cwatson69 Thread Starter

The AirPort has the latest firmware.

The hard drives are Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format with a Partition Map Scheme of GUID Partition Table. The image below is what Disk Utility shows when it is connected directly to my laptop.

[​IMG]

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You didn't add the attachment correctly, you must use the Attachment)paperclip) option after going to "Go Advanced": http://library.techguy.org/wiki

Have you contacted the manufacturer to see fi they are aware of any issues using this drive with an Airport?

Also, for future purchases, if you need a network accessible device a dedicated NAS is the better way to go.

9. cwatson69

cwatson69 Thread Starter

Regarding my photo - your link didn't work.

At this point in time I think I'll go back to what I had originally setup with an external hard drive connected to the AirPort Extreme. (That worked.) When I get more time, I'll look into setting up a true NAS.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!