1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: AJAX Dish Soap Vs Toshiba

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tsemenami, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tsemenami

Tsemenami Thread Starter

Baby spilled ALLOT of AJAX dish soap on my Mom's Toshiba Satellite C655-S5514 and now I've inherited it for the fixing. Brought it to my place and now the motherboard is soaking in DW40, gonna do alcohol run down in the morning and dry it.

My question or my problem is... My brother tried taking it apart prior to my arrival but couldn't dissemble it correctly without TURNING THE LAPTOP ON !! There was a recessed screw right above the dvd writer door fastening it to the lid but he somehow thought he had no choice but to turn the laptop on to get the tray open to access that screw not knowing about the little paper clip hole... Not surprisingly it didn't work.

So the motherboard battery was intact and it was plugged in and turned on filled with AJAX

What are my chances of this thing working? I know AJAX has some water in it, maybe not as bad as milk?

If this motherboard is fubar can i get a replacement? I also have a Toshiba, allot older Toshiba but the components are looking very similar even after 5 years. Even if i can't get the exact same mother board i wonder if it's possible just to throw in something reasonable and available.

THANKS!!

2. Simba7

Simba7

Not good. I've give it a 100:1 chance.

*sigh* You could strangle your brother for being an idiot. *grin*

Just make sure everything is clean and dry before plugging it back in. Make sure you use 91% Isopropyl Alcohol for the final rinse.

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I would take it somewhere and see what has been damaged. chances are the news isnt going to be good.

4. Tsemenami

Tsemenami Thread Starter

Well the computer is officially SPLAT! and as for my brother... He's a knuckle head.

Why the 91% Isopropyl Alcohol? Is there something I should be knowing? If so id like to know.

Oh and BTW... I'm disappointed in the lack of progress Toshiba has been making in laptop design. The nostalgia is off the charts and the plastic is thinning.

5. Tsemenami

Tsemenami Thread Starter

Yes that's probably going to happen because my expertise is limited. If the situation doesn't change id like to find someway to salvage the chassis, drive, rams and screen by swapping in a spare, possibly less capable motherboard of the same dimensions. I suppose somebody somewhere knows enough about Toshiba to tell me if thats even remotely possible. Id sure like to know before getting dragged around like a sucker.

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Since the computer has been soaked in soap and wd 40 and alcohol and god knows what else it would be better to just get another computer.whats in there now shouldnt be used because it might be so damaged that its never going to work right.the best thing is just take it somewhere and have it disposed of properly.

7. Simba7

Simba7

I'd suggest as close to 100% Isopropyl Alcohol.. 91% is rather close and can be bought anywhere.

It's purpose? To remove all the moisture on the board and completely clean it. I've done this on a rather nasty desktop from a smoker. It removed most of the tar, dust, and other crap and looked almost new. I returned the board back to the case (which was also cleaned), plugged everything in, and it powered up without issues. I did have to replace the power supply due to it bring absolutely plugged up and I wasn't even going to try cleaning it.

8. Tsemenami

Tsemenami Thread Starter

Not before I cut off the gold plated contacts.

WD40 and alcohol won't do anything to silicon circuit board.

9. Tsemenami

Tsemenami Thread Starter

OK got it. I was just asking because I didn't know if the % made a big difference. They don't sell that 91% around here anyways.

I've cleaned some pretty shitt computers before. I have this hillbilly-ish trick I'v been using for years, it's so easy saves me money on canned air but before i even think about breaking out the canned air i just grab my bicycle tire pump, connect a basketball needle and maybe connect a coffee straw if i need it and i got myself a fairly powerful unlimited can of air for cleaning those dust bunnies.

This thread is solved. Gonna start a new one on another topic. Time to go shopping... eh

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice