1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: All backgrounds are red, please help!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BuffaloNick, Sep 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BuffaloNick

BuffaloNick Thread Starter

I'm running Windows 7 SP1. I'm not sure if this is even a Windows issue. Anyways, it seems all of my backgrounds are red. By this I mean websites, help and support screens, etc. I will include a screen shot below. This happens with Firefox, Windows Explorer, and Internet Explorer. I've run virus and malware scans but nothing fixed it. Is there a setting I'm missing? Thanks for the help!

Red.png

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Hello, sorry but we have to be clear about this, so if you go to www.disney.com or hardocp.com or www.techrepublic.com those backgrounds are red? If so, please provide matching screenshots.

3. BuffaloNick

So when I went to Disney.com and techrepublic.com, I did not get a red background. But I do when I go to certain other sites, like empireblue.com or microsoft.com (shown below). It's not every website or every popup window, but a majority of them.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled22.jpg

4. CleaverX

CleaverX

That is because some websites use images as background, so even if an html tag defines a red background, it is ignored. Look for add-ons you do not recognize for each of your web browsers; if an answer cannot be found, pm the moderators and ask them to move your issue to the Malware removal forum. But before that - one last test; create a simple web page.

Open Notepad and copy/paste the following:

<html>

<head>
    </head>

<body>

<h2>My first webpage!</h2>

</body>
    </html>

Save the document, it will have a .txt extension, you must change it to .html then open it using each of your bowsers in turn and observe the result

5. BuffaloNick

Interesting. I saved the simple website and renamed it. It appeared normal when opened in Firefox, but a solid red background when viewed in Internet Explorer. Normally I get the same result in both browsers. I attempted to use Chrome, but nothing happens when I use that browser. No windows will open. See below.

IE.png

Firefox.png

6. jenae

jenae

Hi, press the win + r key together, in the run dialogue box type:-

regsvr32 shell32.dll

Press OK, you should receive a success message. Restart computer.

7. BuffaloNick

Ok I did that. I got "success" message and restarted. Tried the "simple webpage" again in both browsers and got the same results as I posted above.

8. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

For Firefox...
    Click "Tools"
    Click "Options"
    Click "Content"
    Under "Fonts & Colors" click "Colors"
    Under "Text and Background" click the "Background" box
    Select the required color option.

For IE...
    Click "Tools"
    Click "Internet Options"
    Click "General"
    Click the "Colors"
    Under "Colors" uncheck "Use Windows Colors"
    Click the " Background" box
    Select the required color option

9. BuffaloNick

That was it, thanks for the help! I actually selected "Use Windows Colors" for IE and "Use System Colors" for Firefox, and BINGO! All backgrounds are back to normal. Thanks again!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!