1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] all functions dead?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dianenall, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dianenall

dianenall Thread Starter

Running Windows ME. I was working in Wordpad the other night & got called away from computer so saved my work, exited Wordpad and left computer on (as I usually do most of the time) with my desktop showing. Couple hours later, came back and couldn't wake computer up. Just dead. So I shut down the no-no way and waited few minutes & tried to start up and this is the ugly situation now facing me: No desktop, only my 'clouds' background; no icons, no taskbar, no start button, no nothing. Right & left clicks of mouse do nada. Have tried F8 at start up til blue in the face. Cannot start in safe mode - can get safe mode screen but that's all. Command prompt does nothing. Same with logged start & normal - nothing. I do get the following errors every time I try turning system back on: Scandskw has caused an error in GDi32.dll. Scandskw will now close. If you continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer. Same message with Spool32 and Explorer and once in awhile, Mstask. Bought system used about 1 yr ago & all OK up until now. Tried putting Win ME install disk in CD - nothing. It's a copy of the one the guy who sold me the computer has. I also downloaded (on my husband's computer) a boot disk for Win Me and that does nothing. I don't even have any means of accessing any tools to try and solve this problem. Can anyone help me?

2. hazeleger

hazeleger

Hi Dianeall,

You wrote that the Win ME bootdisk didn't do a thing. Are you sure that the boot sequence in BIOS is set to "Floppy - HDD - and wahtever will follow" ? If this isn't done the system will still boot from your HDD and you will be stuck with the same errors as before...

If you have the possibility to do so, try to boot from a bootdisk for MS-DOS or one of the previous Windows versions, prefereably with scandisk on it and execute that program when booted from this disk.. I think there are some things on that hard disk that are corrupted in some way. If this is the case you might consider reinstalling or repair mode to get things working again.

If a scandisk run doesn't show anything, try a DOS anti virus program to check whether it's a virus making havoc on your system, good old F-prot could do the job for you.

Final question: Is your system a desktop or a LapTop? (I ask this because I had this problem with my LapTop a few weeks ago, then my hibernate file turned out to be corrupted, showing the same problems in W2K Pro.

Regards to both of you,
    Dick
    (The Netherlands)

3. dianenall

dianenall Thread Starter

Many thanks for the suggestions. Will try them as soon as I can and report back on this situation. I hope something works...

4. AAPlus

AAPlus

Hey, dianenall

you say you tried F8 will it happen if you try

pressing and holding down the CTRL key while you restart your computer,

5. dianenall

dianenall Thread Starter

all suggestions more than welcome - pressing Ctrl at start up of computer brings me to the WinMe start up menu where no matter which option I choose - normal, logged, safe mode or command prompt, I go to that and still get all e original errors and then NOTHING - just dead in the water. hellllp

6. guru2

guru2 Guest

hi, if you press delete at the post screen it will take you into the bios. set the boot sequence to cdrom, c:, and whatever. then put the ME cd in and reboot. that should boot it off the cd-rom and allow you to start the setup routine. if that dont work set the boot sequence back to floppy, c, and whatever and boot off the floppy and enable cd-rom support.

7. dianenall

dianenall Thread Starter

hello and many thanks to all who have offered advice and suggestions. I have changed the boot sequence in the bios already as suggested with no luck. I have been in and out of the bios so often trying different options that I no longer know if I am even back to my original settings. I started out keeping notes of the settings but bellieve it or not, the dog ate a couple of pieces out of my notes so they are useless. i think i will just have to keep playing with it and maybe accidentally stumble on something that might work. I'm at my witts end and almot bald from pulling my hair out. Have read that Microsoft admits to a shut down/start up problem with ME and I am hoping that's what it is and not my hardware? (or would it be easier to replace that instead of all this brain bashing?) Again, thanks to all

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

When you say that you've changed the boot sequence, are you saving your changes in the bios before exiting?

You have it set to boot to the floppy drive first? What happens if you put a blank floppy in the floppy drive? It should error message out, crying about invalid operating system or system disk.....

9. dianenall

dianenall Thread Starter

to all who have offered advice, suggestions and a shoulder upon which to sob, thank you very much for your help. I finally gave up and had to call in a computer guru. Windows ME crashed on me as a result of dying mother board which is being replaced and my cd rom expired while on the operating table. I hope to be back up and running again soon. Again, many thanks to everyone and please mark this SOLVED.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66479

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice