Solved: All my USB 2.0 Ports (and possibly my modem) have stopped working - Help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GlynG

I've got a bit of a problem with my computer and was hoping some advice. Basically all the USB 2.0 ports on my computer have recently stopped working - I can still use them to charge my iPod, but not to communicate with it (I no longer get the little icon in the bottom right hand side of the screen when it's connected), and I can't use my printer because the computer insists it's off-line (I've tried two different cables so it can't be a problem with that).

I've got two USB 2.0 ports on the back of my computer (built into my motherboard - can't remember the exact model offhand but the processor is one of those 2800+ Athlon 64bit ones, if that’s relevant) and I've also recently upgraded my monitor to a dell FPW2005, so I've now got another couple (not working) on the side of that too. I even tried taking the USB 2.0 card from my old computer (that has 4 USB 2.0 sockets in it and plugs directly into the motherboard) - but this didn't work either - the printer wouldn't communicate and the iPod actually froze the system when I plugged it in (surprising as this rarely seems to happen with Windows XP).

I've also been trying to get a temporary dial-up internet connection sorted in my new house (while I'm waiting for the broadband to get transferred over), but I couldn't get it to work - the modem wouldn't dial out. I had thought it could be something wrong with the phone-line maybe, but now I've noticed the USB problem too, I think it's probably something up with the computer.

What could cause this sort of thing? Could it be a hardware problem with the motherboard? Would the only real solution to be to buy a replacement motherboard? I will if I have to, but I want to make sure that's definitely the problem and the solution first! Could it maybe be caused by a software or driver problem, something messed up in Windows somehow? How could I look for this sort of thing and what could i do to fix it if it is what's wrong?

Pretty sure it can't be a virus or anything like that though, since I've not had an internet connection for a month or so now, and this is something that’s only happened recently. Plus I've run norton systemworks 2005 and it's found nothing. The only change I've made to my system recently was changing the monitor from an old 17" CRT to a new 20.1" widescreen LCD monitor - could this feasibly have messed the USB ports up somehow?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / advice!

Glyn

The monitor has nothing to do with your problem. Your Ipod charges via the USB so the 5 volts is there. Have you looked into the Device Manager and see if your USBs and modem is listed as a "problem device"? (RIGHT click My Computer choose Properties, then the Hardware Tab then the Device Manger Button. ) Is your Norton up to date?? It must be up to date with the latest macro or viris sig. to make sure you are virus free. You would be surprised by the virus' that slip in and infect systems. While this could be a motherboard failure, I would try removing the modem and the USBs from the Device manager first and see if Windows will set them up on the next boot. You may need to supply a driver for the modem but XP should set up your USBs without any prompts.

GlynG

Cheers for the suggestions! I had another play around last night and managed to fix it (relieved not to need to buy a new motherboard, as I'm seem to be spending silly ammounts of money at the moment anyway!).

All I did in the end, was to go into BIOS and opt for the best performance settings - that fixed the USB problem. Then I went into device manager, uninstalled the modem, restarted the computer, and, hey presto! Windows reinstalled it, and it now works :)

Thanks,
Glyn

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts