1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: All networking has stopped

Discussion in 'Networking' started by LJorgensen, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LJorgensen

LJorgensen Thread Starter

Let me start by saying that I am something of a novice when it comes to computer networking. I have an HP Touchsmart 300 that has served me faithfully for a number of years. Recently, all internet access through this computer has stopped functioning. The wifi can't see any networks and when plugged in, the ethernet does not access the internet. I realize that there could be something physically wrong with the network card but it reports as "functioning properly". I have also tried tethering by USB and bluetooth with an android phone, however it doesn't see the phone over bluetooth and the USB tether doesn't seem to work. Interestingly, the mouse and keyboard are both bluetooth and function perfectly.

Does anyone have any suggestions on software issues that could be causing this? This is a family desktop (always run as administrator) and it is possible that a setting was toggled that caused an issue.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What are you using for a modem and router?
    What ISP are you using?

3. LJorgensen

My router is a Netgear CG3000D and my ISP is Mediacom. It is worth mentioning that there are several other devices in the house that perform perfectly over wifi.

4. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Press the Windows flag key + R and in the open field type: cmd (press enter)
    In the command prompt type: netsh interface show interface (press enter)
    What is the Admin State and State of each interface?

5. LJorgensen

Local Area Connection - Admin state (Enabled) - State (Disconnected) - Type (Dedicated)
    Local Area Connection 2 - Admin state (Enabled) - State (Connected) - Type (Dedicated)
    Wireless Network Connection - Admin state (Enabled) - State (Disconnected) - Type (Dedicated)

6. LJorgensen

Local Area Connection - Admin state (Enabled) - State (Disconnected) - Type (Dedicated)
    Local Area Connection 2 - Admin state (Enabled) - State (Connected) - Type (Dedicated)
    Wireless Network Connection - Admin state (Enabled) - State (Disconnected) - Type (Dedicated)

7. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Press the Windows key + R, and in the open field type: ncpa.cpl (press enter)
    Right click on the wireless network connection and select connect/disconnect.
    Do you see any wireless networks?

8. LJorgensen

It shows "No connections available".

9. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Press the Windows flag key + R and in the open field type: services.msc (press enter)
    Scroll to the bottom and look for WLAN AutoConfig and Wired AutoConfig.
    Make sure both are running under status, if not right click on them and select Start.

10. LJorgensen

When I clicked start on WLAN AutoConfig, I got a pop up saying:
    "Windows could not start the WLAN AutoConfig service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start".

I can't click start under Wired AutoConfig. I believe this may be because the startup type is "Disabled".

I would really prefer to use wifi instead of ethernet if possible with this. I would like to move the computer to another room away form the router.

11. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Best option right now is using a system restore point prior to the problem. For system restore press the Windows key + R and in the open field type: rstrui.exe (press enter)

System Restore does not affect any of your documents, pictures or other personal data. If you recently installed programs/drivers they might be uninstalled.

12. LJorgensen

I ran the restore that was oldest in the registry. This didn't seem to fix the issue. I am willing to do a clean install of Windows if needed. Unfortunately, I am not sure how to do this. I believe this computer has a recovery partition.

13. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Lets give this a try
    Press Windows key + R, type: regedit (press enter)
    First lets make a backup copy, click on File and select Export. Name the file whatever and save it to the desktop.

Now in Registry go to the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EapHost
    In the right pane you should see “DependOnService” right click on it and select Modify.
    In the “Value field” delete everything. Click Okay.

Back on the left side pane scroll up until you see DHCP and click on it once. Again look at the right pane for “DependOnService” right click and select Modify. In the Value field delete everything EXCEPT “Afd” Click Okay.

Close Registry and restart the computer. After reboot try connecting via wireless.

14. LJorgensen

Still: "No connections available".

15. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Might be best to do a re-install then.

To access the System Recovery partition just restart the computer and at the HP splash screen repeatedly press the F11 key. From that just select System Recovery and follow the prompts.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140757

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice