1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: All of my pictures need permission change

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Nostzz, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nostzz

Nostzz Thread Starter

When I backed up all of my pictures and then restored them all on a new computer the permissions set got messed up. The user account name was the same but the name in the permission list is "unknown user".

I can right click on an individual picture, go to properties, then security and add "Everyone" as a user and give it full permission. But that takes time and I have thousands of pictures.

Is there a way to change the permission on groups of them, rather than just one at a time?

2. moper

moper

3. Nostzz

Nostzz Thread Starter

I did that and the only problem is it wont let me select more than one picture at a time to take ownership of. I highlighted all of the pictures in one folder and then in the context menu the "Take Ownership" option is gone with more than one selected. There are thousands of pictures to go through and I don't want to have to do each one individually. Doing it on the folder containing the pictures doesn't work either.

4. Nostzz

Nostzz Thread Starter

So I went into the properties of the "Pictures" folder in my user account. I then went to security and to the owner tab at the top. I then went to edit and clicked the box labeled "Replace owner on all subcontainers and objects" and clicked ok on everything.

This still does not grant me access to my pictures. Am I doing something wrong? I need access to these pictures soon, it's getting close to mothers day, please help! :(

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Did you restore them from a CD or DVD?

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Open a Command Prompt:
    Click Start, type cmd, press Enter.
    Navigate to the folder the pictures are in.
    For example, if they are in the Pictures folder, type:
    CD C:\Users\<username>\Pictures
    (If the prompt already shows C:\Users\<username> you can just type CD Pictures)
    Where <username> is your username of course.
    Now Type:
    takeown /F *
    If there are subfolders, use this instead:
    takeown /R /F *

You'll get a slew messages and may be prompted about replacing permissions on folder you don't currently own. Make sure it's not a system folder, then type Y.
    You can also use takeown /R /D Y /F * to automatically say yes, but don't use this from the root of your profile (or anyplace else that contains system folders) as there are many hidden system files and folders, and you don't want to change them.

Taking ownership should automatically grant you full control.

HTH

Jerry

7. Nostzz

Nostzz Thread Starter

Thanks Outcaste but it didn't work. :(

Here are some screen shots of what I get.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r28/IMA****HEAD1/1.jpg
    http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r28/IMA****HEAD1/2.jpg

I can click on the pictures without getting an error, but once they open up with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer it says, "Photo Gallery can't open this picture because you do not have the permission to access the file location".

When I go to picture properties and then the security tab on the list there is a unknown user in the list with a red ? next to the picture. If I go in and remove the user the picture is fine but it's hard to do it with all the individual pictures.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks again. :)

8. Nostzz

Nostzz Thread Starter

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You mistyped the command. You forgot the asterisk after the /F.

10. Nostzz

Nostzz Thread Starter

Wow! I'm not sure how I missed that. Thanks much. Going to test it out tomorrow after I get some sleep. I sure hope this works.

11. Nostzz

Nostzz Thread Starter

Alright I gave it a shot with it spelled right and it still didn't work. I took some more screenshots to help. Anyone have any ideas?

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7994/52324710.jpg
    http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/7812/40081486.jpg
    http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/474/27299479.jpg

The third photo is what I get when I try to open a picture.

P.S. The one picture you can see in the 2nd photo is the one I manually changed by going in and adding the permission to "everyone". That same photo is the only one that came up as a success when I did the "takeown /R /F *".

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What happened that the files ended up this way? That would be my first concern in order to prevent the problem from reoccurring. I don't know what to tell you about fixing the permissions. You've already tried everything I could think of.

13. moper

moper

Maybe a workaround. Copy some photos to a cd, flash drive or Fat32 external drive. Permissions will be lost. Copy them back to a new, different folder.

moper

14. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Try running takeown from an Elevated Command Prompt
    Click Start, type cmd in the Search box, then press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.
    The title bar of the Command Prompt should start with Administrator:

I removed all permissions from a couple of files, and got the same access denied message from a normal prompt, but it succeeded with an elevated prompt.
    That didn't restore the permissions though, but this command should. Type it in the Elevated Prompt after running the Takeown command:
    icacls *.* /reset /T /C

Run this from the root of the pictures folder, ie C:\Users\<username>\Pictures.
    It resets the permissions to those inherited from the parent folder, so needs to run from the root Pictures folder to correct the permissions on the subfolders.

HTH

Jerry

15. Nostzz

Nostzz Thread Starter

When you say search box do you mean the run command?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/820077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice