1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: All sorts of problems (networking and router help!!!!)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by board3r24, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. board3r24

board3r24 Thread Starter

Ok so first off ill tell you what im running too hopefully give you the info needed to help me out.
    Linksys BEFSR41 = Router
    Linksys EZXS88W = 8 Port Workgroup Switch
    Original PC = OS = Xp, 1 Account (Admin), Bosses computer.
    Second PC = OS = Xp, 2 Accounts (Both Admins), co-workers PC
    Third PC = OS = Vista, 2 Accounts (Both Admins), MY PC
    I def have it wired right considering no one is having problems getting the internet.

To start, i was not here originally when my company setup the Modem and Router. When i got here i was literally swapping the cable with my co-worker to use the internet. We had some electricians come and setup wall outlets, so that now, we all have internet all the time on all PC's. To do this i installed the 8 port switch to the router because prior to that with all 3 computers connected, only 2 of 3 would actually get online, using this switch fixed that. Here it is a month later, and i have been asked to NETWORK all these computers together.

I have gone in on each pc and followed any guide there is to make sure i have all settings correct to be able to share files/programs over a small office network. Each computer is on the same workgroup and all that good stuff, yet i cannot see any other computer but mine on the network.

My best guess was there is a setting in the router that is stopping me from networking, so as usual i typed 192.168.1.1 into my web browser and got the standard login screen.

NOW . i know that all linksys routers come wit a default password of admin, and sometimes it can be admin/admin admin/1234 1234/admin and all those wonderful combinations. NONE OF THEM WORK, i CANNOT log into my router. So i figure, alright, maybe they never installed the software, i find the CD ROM that came with router and go for gold and run the setup, IT STILL ASKS ME FOR A PASSWORD. will not let me into my router settings. Ive gone to the router/switch and held the reset button 8-10 seconds, ive unplugged each, nothing is resetting, HOW THE HELL DO I GET MY PASSWORD!!

basically, 1)is it not my router, did i do something wrong in the networking process 2) how the hell do i get my router information back.

(ps. vista comp has expired version of Mcfee that i have configured to allow file sharing, and 2nd comp Xp co worker, has expired norton, that i thinkkkk i have setup correctly for file sharing)

Any help would make me wet my pants, im so lost, and ive never had a problem setting up a network or anything of this matter.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Uninstall the expired Norton and run Symantec's Norton Removal Tool.

Uninstall the expired McAfee and run the McAfee Removal Tool.

You should be able to find the router User Manual here.

Please show for each of the 3 PCs ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following commands:

nbtstat -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. board3r24

board3r24 Thread Starter

Starting that now, but to be sure, can i run these from my vista PC, or do i need to do it off my boss's XP console?

4. board3r24

board3r24 Thread Starter

TYVM Terry, just running the correct uninstalls on there fixed my problem!

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Expired (and corrupted) security applications are dangerous to networking health.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/866450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice