1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Allowing "remote content" in T-bird

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by DKTaber, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Having started to use Mozilla Thunderbird more often after spending 20 years using OE, I'm still having "learning-curve pains". One "feature" of T-bird is that when an e-mail comes in that contains "remote content" (which I interpret to mean some if it is coming from the Web), it blocks it. I have to click on the "Allow remote content..." link, which opens a filter window where I have to click OK to allow the content in this e-mail and all future e-mails from the same address.

I have NEVER had a problem with remote content -- for 20 years, so would like to stop T-bird from blocking it. It should be a Security option. It's not; at least I can find it there or anywhere else. Is it hidden somewhere. . . or is this another case of "developer arrogance" where no such option is provided?

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

It's a security thing that can only be accessed through the configuration.
    Tools>Options>Advanced>General tab>Config Editor button.
    In the filter line type mailnews.message_display.disable_remote_image or hunt in the list for it and double click the entry to toggle it to False.
    Just be aware that it will now always load remote images from everywhere with no input from you.

3. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Thanks for your help again, throoper. Done!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!