[SOLVED] almost a network?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

d2981

Main System: WinXP, USB Cable Internet, Ethernet Card

Other System: Win 98, Ethernet Card

HOW CAN SHARE NET, FILES, and Printer on to the 98 system, without buying any other hardware, i ran the wizzard on xp, then poped the cd in the 98 system, ran the wizzard on there

I have gotten the comptuers to show the workgroups, and the comptuers there on in them, but not eachother.

Im guessing, the 98 system, needs some more configuration, with the users or something to sign on and stuff

CAN ANYON HELP?

PLEASE

EVEN JUST FILE/Printer Sharing would Work for ME

Thank you ahead of time if you can help

on the 98 machine:

right click on "network neiborhood"

click "find computer"

insert the XP computers name

this will hopfuly find the xp machine.

I'm unsure about xp, its most likley the same. Tell us more about your network. What have you done?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Silly question, but is there some kind of cable running between the two computers?????? From the ethernet cards?

d2981

yes, there is a cable:)

thought that was a given

everything is set up, same workgroup names, two different computer names

any other info, u need just let me know, id appreciat it

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Nothing is a given for me anymore, I've seen it all ;)

What kind of cable are you using? I believe you need a cross over between the two computers.

Right click on the hard drive on both machines, and choose to share the entire hard drive for right now.

yea crossover from PC to PC...but then u get no internet...

BUY A ROUTER IF YOU DONT HAVE 1!

Hows your network setup? DETAILS PLEASE...

dai

if you don't have a router you need two nic cards in the first computer and you need to install the netbui protocol on both machines

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Originally posted by dai:
if you don't have a router you need two nic cards in the first computer
Just to be able to file and print share??????

Hey, also both cards have to have the ability to do cross-over like this. Router\gateways are so cheap that it doesn't pay timewise to deal with all of this.....router solves all! Just another IMHO.

d2981

the 98 system, isnt worth spending the money on a router, that was the point, of asking. for just 2 NIC. thanks for all ur suggestions, for getting a router though, when i get my hands on a athlon xp 64 system i will do that

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You can pick up a router for less than $30 after rebates. I've even seen one free after rebates, occasionally.

You still should be able to network the two computers using a cross over cable between the two without a router.

dai

Just to be able to file and print share??????
acacandy
one connects to the modem the second does the crossover it sounds like there was only one in each

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Originally posted by d2981:
EVEN JUST FILE/Printer Sharing would Work for ME
I guess that's the only thing I was addressing :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online