1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Alrignt - Compatibliltiy - I Cannot Figure This Out

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jmsralnc, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmsralnc

jmsralnc Thread Starter

:eek:
    Running Microsoft XP Professional - SP2 w/ latest

MS Word - Help/About - shows MS Word 2002
    MS Visio - Help/About - shows MS Visio 2003
    MS Excel - Help/About - shows MS Excel 2002
    MS Outlook - Help/About - shows Outlook 2002

How do I update to Office 2003? Or even just Word 2003? I have been to vendor sites including Microsoft and e-Bay and can NOT make heads or tails about what I need to do.

The reason this has come up is I am trying to write macros/procedures and use Controls and/or Forms in MS Word and cannot get Controls and/or Forms and/or Macros to work (using SAMS Word 2000 VB Ref and MS VB Ref downloaded from MS Web site). I am writing this stuff for a friend who is running 2003.

Obviously, I am a rookie, yet still a once-proud MS Word aficionado who could make Word stand on its head :D and impress and amaze associates and impressionable and voluptuous admins and potential employers etc., etc., etc., ...zzzzzzz...whuh?!?!huh??snork...

If I need to upgrade, it is not evident to me. I'd be GLAD to have an excuse to spend the money.

I am appropriately embarrassed, but at this point I do not give a rat's ***. Is it me, or should this stuff not be easier to figure out? (It's probably me)

Any help given is appreciated.

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

They are all part of the complete Office Suite and can't be updated individually. It looks like they are separate apps, but the Office installer lets you choose which you want and they are all part of the suite.

3. jmsralnc

jmsralnc Thread Starter

Thanks for the response.

Do I need to upgrade to Office 2003? If so, what is the best avenue?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Get a copy of Office 2003 if that is the one you want. The installer has all kinds of options and you can install the parts that you want and leave out those you don't. But if you are upgrading, why not newer than 2003?

5. The Hound

The Hound

Doesn't Office 2003 really contain Word 2002?

Perhaps you rerun the installer (with the original media) and make sure each and every bit is installed to 'Run from My Computer'.

6. jmsralnc

jmsralnc Thread Starter

No particular reason no to upgrade to 2007. Thought 2003 might be cheaper but I cannot seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks for the help.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's what I was thinking. It would be much cheaper, for sure, but you'd have to wait until someone had one on Ebay or somewhere.

This may not be the way you want to go, but Open Office is free and has very good compatibility with MS Office. You may not want to switch to it entirely (though that's a thought), but you may be able to use it temporarily to solve some problems.

8. jmsralnc

jmsralnc Thread Starter

I upgraded to Office 2007. Because I am a student I only had to pay $80.

This was the right choice for now. I am doing Word automation for a client and need to know the files are compatible and have support.

Will definitely check out Open Office. Perhaps we can look forward to a time when we can serve our clients more efficiently.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice