1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Amazing Computer but Games still lagg?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ferni36, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ferni36

ferni36 Thread Starter

Heres my setup in basic terms :

8GB Ram
    1TB HDD
    HD Radeon 5670 768MB
    Phenom X4 Quad Core @ 3.0Ghz (Not clocked)

Should it really be struggling with a game like Skyrim or Saints row 3 On low settings? Is something bottlenecking my PC?

Thanks.

2. Beef246

Beef246

I'm surprised that your computer is struggling to run Skyrim on low settings.

The only thing I could see bottle necking your system is the gfx card memory, (Recommended 1 Gb). But this should have too much of a detrimental impact.

Are you running any process in the background that may be using up a lot of memory?

3. ferni36

ferni36 Thread Starter

when i play Games i have nothing working in the background. Except for around 35 - 40 Processes which arent using CPU according to task manager. Could that have anything to do with it? I can run Crysis 2 better than i can run Saints row 3 and i dont understand why. However i have a question in mind that it might be how the computer is built since i got all this with a screen and some games for £350 so could it be a fake hardware piece? Thanks for answering

4. tom6049

tom6049

I can't really see background programs causing any issues with a computer
    that has 8GB of system memory. However, I think that you're expecting too
    much from a £350 computer. That much money buys an amazing video card,
    but not an amazing gaming computer.

5. ferni36

ferni36 Thread Starter

Yes i agree however this was a HUGE bargain because of the parts inside the computer which i stated , and i myself cant see why games such as Skyrim lagg now and then on low settings. If anything i will buy new parts for the PC but im struggling on which ones to buy , Any ideas?

6. babaelly

babaelly

thats not true lol, i spent 500 dollars on my computer and it owns. its about the same power as yours (a little better card, its 1gb) but you got more ram than me (4gb) i could play skyrim on medium easily i think. wish i could help you.

7. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    What operating system are you using and is it 32 or 64 bit?

8. ferni36

ferni36 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the help , I FINALLY discovered it was actually the fact i had my computer on energy saving mode that made all my hardware run 50% slower than normal. However i still have a question in mind , does putting my computer on "High performace" on the battery menu mean

1) I will get bigger bills?
    2) My power supply MAY be burnt to death?

Im asking this because its happened before with a ****** power supply the guy that sold my computer put in. However i replaced it for a £35 one i like to think is not to bad.

9. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Setting it to high performance will increase its power consumption a bit, however I would be extremely surprised if you actually noticed that difference in your electricity bill. As long as you power supply is suitable for the machine then setting it to high performance will not frag the PSU. Having said that, a £35 PSU isn't likely to be particularly good quality, what is the exact make, model and wattage of the PSU?

10. ferni36

ferni36 Thread Starter

580w G7 ATX PSU

I will get another Power supply very soon. Recommendations?

11. Sick_Jargon

Sick_Jargon

I'm currently using an XFX Core Edition PRO550W PSU and it runs great... And has more damn cables than you can shake a stick at, good if you have a lot of hardware. It also carries two PCIe connectors for powerful cards. It can be picked up for about $70.

Link: XFX Core Edition PRO550W

If you're looking for a top of the line brand I'd go for an Antec. Maybe something like this: Antec EarthWatts EA-650 650W

I would imagine $70 is going to be the lowest you'll pay for a reliable PSU, Corsair do some nice budget PSU's under their builder series.

12. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Personally I like Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, Seasonic (they actually make a lot of the Corsair units) and OCZ. You will pay more for a quality unit but it is worth it, cheap unit more often than not don't perform to their rated specs, have cheap components and fail alot easier. When they do fail they normally take other components with them like Motherboard and/or CPU etc. This is an area where quality does pay but it also costs.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028575

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice