Solved: amd 2600 mhz mobo vs 4000 mhz processor

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

craigbrann

Hi!

I'm stumped. Can anyone explain why there are several amd processors i.e. phenom ii x2 550, that feature a hypertransport rate of 4000 mhz but no mobos that support a rate above 2600 mhz? I'm guessing I'm misunderstanding what these figures represent. Could use an explanation before I pick out a motherboard for the above processor.

Thanks!!

Like some other things, HyperTransport can be described in single-way rate or dual-way rate. On most new motherboards you will see "2600MHz Hyper Transport (5200 MT/s)" That 5200 MT/s is the max rate, so Phenom IIs certainly aren't limited by the bus bandwidth.

craigbrann

But if MTs are double MHz rate wouldn't that make the 4000 Mhz processor at a max of 8000 MTs? Are there boards that support that max?

MT/s is MegaTransfers per second. MegaHertz is Mega<inserteventhere>s per second. There are two transfers per one 'cycle', that is not only MT/s but also MHz. The processor does 4,000,000,000 transfers per second, the board can support up to 5,200,000,000 transfers per second.

craigbrann

Thanks for setting me straight on the terminology! Now I get it! Have a good vacation!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online