Solved: AMD Athlon 64 X2 and heatsink

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thechanmane

This should be a simple question for anyone with experience installing/uninstalling an AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor with the retail heatsink. Recently, i my motherboard crashed (Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe) and i decided to RMA it. In the process of disassembling my system, i ran into trouble removing the heatsink and CPU from the motherboard. I understand perfectly how the locking mechanism works on the heatsink and i performed the correct process to remove it from the CPU/motherboard, but i was unable to free it from the CPU. Basically what appears to have happened is the thermal paste (stock thermal pad) on the heatsink melted during the daily use of my computer and "glued" the heatsink to the top of my CPU. When i pulled the heatsink from the motherboard, the CPU inadvertently came with it (attached to the bottom of the heatsink). My question is, should i be concerned with damage to the CPU and how can separate the two? There appears to be no damage to the CPU (besides that it's stuck to the heatsink), but I'm concerned that separating the two will damage both. Any advice, help, or suggestions would greatly be appreciated, thanks in advance!

thechanmane

Thanks a lot for the quick info. I will try this out and post an update with how things go.

UPDATE: I just finished cleaning the old thermal paste from the CPU and heatsink; they separated beautifully! Thanks again for the quick info.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online