Solved: AMD Heatsink install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hansmax

I'm getting ready to attach my AMD Sempron 2400+ processor to its motherboard. I have done this successfully with Pentiums, but this is my first AMD. I was quite surprised to see that the back (top) surface of the processor is quite irregular, with four equally spaced rubber like knobs on top, and various other protrusions. Am I supposed to fill this entire space in with compound so that there is no void at all between the processor and heatsink. (I assume so, otherwise why use the compound if there are going to be air spaces anyway? - doesn't seem like it will transfer heat very well.) If it is supposed to be completely filled, will the one gram that I ordered be enough? I sure don't want to start gumming it up only to find that I'm going to have to get more compound to finish. That could take a day or two where I live. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for assuring that the compound gets spread in properly, so that I can be assured of not having any voids? Any help would be appreciated

Man am i sorry i didn't catch this earlier. I hope your not installing with the method you posted above.

The small rectangle in the center is the core. Your used to lidded processors which this is not. All you need is a tiny amount of thermal compound on the core. Lay a dab down on the core and smooth it over the surface with a credit card(or flat plastic edge) be careful not to get it anywhere else on the core package, especially if it contains some metal. We want a SUPER thin layer here. Be very careful in installing the heatsink that you don't apply too much pressure crushing the core. AMD's website has a good install guide. If you have a retail boxed CPU it probably has compound or a pad pre-applied to the bottom of the HSF.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
GripS is correct, you will surely come to grief using your method. :)

hansmax

Thanks much for the input, GripS and JohnWill. You can rest assured that I did not do anything rash, but was waiting for some expert (that would be you) advice. I never thought of the AMD website, and it never came up with what I was googling. I will go there forthwith. Thanks again for the input. I will mark this solved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online