1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: An external HD for both Mac and PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by needapc, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. needapc

needapc Banned Thread Starter

I bought this hard-drive because the salesperson assured me it works with both a PC and a Mac:
    http://go.iomega.com/section?secid=76814#tech_specsItem_tab

There're quite a lot of them that do. Unfortunately, you can't use it on both a mac and pc at the same time. If you want to add files from a PC, you need to first format it. And when you got your PC-files on it, and you want to add files from your Mac, you need to re-format it. So there's no way it takes files from both PCs and Macs at the same time. Ugh!

Does anyone have a solution? I'm very close to just buying 2 external hard-drives.

Thanks!

2. Hughv

Hughv

It's all about the file system. Mac uses HFS and will read, but not write NTFS.
    Your PC is probably using NTFS, and can't read HFS.
    Both can read and write FAT32, which may help. but is limited to 4GB file sizes.
    A second drive is a perfectly good solution.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/940823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice