1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[solved]animated cursors

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by acraftylady, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. acraftylady

acraftylady Thread Starter

Would anyone know how I could make an animated cursor to use in Windows from either a ready made gif or one I made myself? I know how to change my mouse pointer but want to use something I custom make. I found a free trial of artcursors and I was able to import a moving gif and save it as a cursor file and use it as my windows cursor but not animated like it started out so not sure if this program will do that or I need to buy the full version to do this. I have paint shop pro, is it possible to make an animated cursor file with that?

2. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Take a look at the thread just below this called " Avatar Resize"..
    If I knew how to attach the thread post info I would...

3. acraftylady

Yes, I saw that thread, even contributed to it. You can just copy and paste text from anywhere into your thread, same as when you do e-mail and stuff.

Are you saying an avator is the same as a cursor file? I am confused on how to do this to make an animated cursor, can make non moving cursor fine to use in Windows. To use a graphic of any kind as a windows cursor I thought you needed a program that will make a cursor file with the .cur extension. When you go to the mouse folder to change the pointer the only files that show up are .cur and those are what I see in the cursor folder to use but I want to make my own animated .cur file. I guess I am really confsued on how to do this so maybe I have this all wrong. Can someone please straighten me out.

4. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

Do a Google search for Michelangelo. It's a (shareware) program to create and edit .cur and .ani files...

5. hewee

hewee

6. acraftylady

I just came across a site that recommended that program as you posted it. It also said Irfanview can handle .cur. Duh why didn't I think of that in the first place. Will try both of them and see what happens to the animation.

7. hewee

hewee

microangelo is really nice.
    I have a older version on my older PC and it still works so the time never ran out on it. I get a nag from it and some options did not work but it's a great program and it years old.

8. acraftylady

Downloaded the latest version of microangelo and I still can't get this to work. I think I am going about it the wrong way maybe. I have an animted gif. I have figured out how to open it in microangelo but I can only save it as a non animated .cur file. Then I tried microangelo animator but the only choice in the browse box is animated resource and I don't know what that is, so I can't upload my gif into there. I don't know why this should be so hard for me to figure out. In the windows cursor folder is an animated banana peeling so I know this can be done somehow. I also tried irfanivew and I can get the gif animation to load but I can't figure out how to save it as the save and save as are greyed out. I saw reference that irfanview can handle .cur files but maybe it will only make non animated ones. Here's the gif I want to make into a cursor file. Any more suggestions welcome.

Attached Files:

9. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    I have it converted to an ani file but it won't let me upload it. PM me with your e-mail addy and I'll send it to you.

10. acraftylady

Just attach it to your post like I did the gif or can't .ani be attached to a post? I don't think .ani is going to work but I could be wrong. In order to use it as a windows cursor it has to be a .cur file. If you go into your windows cursor folder you will see all the cursors are .cur so that's why I think it has to be .cur to work as a windows cursor but I could be wrong about that so please feel free to straighten me out because this is new waters I am venturing into today trying to do this. My brother wants these rolling eyeballs as his windows cursor and he knows I like playing with stuff like this but this has me so lost. How many darn cursors built into windows XP and he wants this. I tried to sell him on the peeling banana that's built in but no go.

11. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    I zipped it for you...Give it a whirl and let me know. TSG doesn't support .ani uploads.

Attached Files:

12. acraftylady

Hey, thanks that worked perfectly. It showed up when I placed it in the windows cursor folder and I could select it and use it and it's an animated pointer now. I didn't realize that .ani was the same. All my searching today did not tell me that, it kept saying .cur. I just openend it in animation shop and sure enough when I go to save I have the .ani option for cursor. I can't believe I didn't realize that in the first place. My brother wants this for his windows cursor so now I can make him a bunch of different ones to pick from.

13. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Glad it worked. (y) Want any more done just ask. :)

14. hewee

hewee

How did your covert the gif to a ani file wimpy?

15. acraftylady

Thaks, I just made a bunch for him in animation shop because I had some good eyeball graphics. I think he wants to surprise his little boy the next time they boot up the computer.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice