Solved: annoying addition, not sure where this should go

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

A_erised

I had problems awhile ago and computer runs so much better, EXCEPT

c:\Program files\messenger\msmsg.exe\background

keeps writing itself in my msconfig start up file. When I realize I am running slow again, I check and sure enough there it is checked above the already unchecked identical line.

Does anyone know what program is rewriting this line and if so where/ how I go about disabling that?

If this is in the wrong spot, I am sorry. There was no for annoying place to post.

Thanks!
Linda

A_erised

It does not hurt anything it just slows down an already slow computer. I can't figure out how to fix it so it doesn't rewrite itself.

Thanks for trying, MFDnSC.
Linda

A_erised

Annoying little thing! I'd ignore it, but it slows down an otherwise slow computer.

A_erised

I've never used a windows messenger, but my son used to use an msn one that is still on the computer. I use a yahoo one.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
It looked like Windows Messenger to me too...

However, if it is MSN Messenger - try this:

Launch the program
Go to Tools>Options
General tab
Uncheck "Automatically run Messenger when I log on to Windows"
Hit OK

A_erised

Cheeseballer, I did that and rechecked it many time to see if I really had one that. It is indeed unchecked.

A search for messenger found in the start up menu\programs
Yahoo messenger
msn messenger
aol messenger

It's possible it is an aol one.

in start up menu\programs\netscape communicator
netscape messenger
aol messenger
aol license

in start up menu\programs\yahoo messenger
yahoo messenger

in start up menu\programs\aol instant messenger (SM)
aol
aol uninstall

in start up menu\programs\netscape7.1
instant messenger

Guess I will start by finding them all and setting each to not start unless asked/told to do so. Wish me luck.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online