1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Annoying mouse problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dougsilver, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dougsilver

dougsilver Thread Starter

I have been using A4Tech wheelmouse (model WWW-11) with several machines and the following problem occurs on only one of the computers. This mouse plugs into my serial port and I am using Win98SE. One of the wheels allows for vertical scrolling. What happens is that I vertically scroll on a page or list and then stop the wheel. However, when I even slightly move the mouse the scroll continues a bit (in the same direction that the wheel scroll). It is as if moving the mouse somehow sent a signal to move the wheel. I recall that this did not happen with some of the earlier A4Tech drivers but it has happened with the more recent drivers (I do not have the old ones anymore). I swapped the mouse with one from another of my computers and the same thing happens so it does not appear to be a hardware problem. Anyone have similar experience of any clues as to what would cause this behavior?

2. deuce

deuce

Is the other mouse also a serial mouse? Have you tried deleting the mouse drivers and seeing if the default ms ones work ok? For a basic scroll mouse microsoft's drivers should work fine. Do you need a serial mouse?... you might want to consider getting a ps/2 or USB mouse.

3. dougsilver

I am using the same make and model of mouse on two other machines--one in serial port mode and the other in ps/2 mode. I even brought one of the "mice" home and swapped it with the mouse on my home machine--I still get the weird behavior which seems to indicate it has something to do with either the hardware on my machine at home or the fact that I am running Win98SE at home. If I replace the a4tech drivers with plain vanilla (e.g., generic serial wheel mouse) the symptom goes away but I also lose a bit of functionality. Too bad I can't find the older a4tech drivers.

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

hi............ Did you ever have the older a4tech drivers on your system.... if you didn't delete them they are still there in add hardware.

5. dougsilver

I may have the older driver on one of my other machines. The driver I started with was for Win95 and I frequently downloaded updates from A4tech. The Win95 drivers did not work all that well on my Win98 machine (jerky scrolling) but I believe there was one build that worked very well--smooth scrolling and no problems. Then A4tech updated the drivers for Win98 and Win2000 and all the builds of these drivers have caused the problem I describe on my machine at home. I just experimented and loaded Microsoft Intellimouse drivers--the symptom I described goes away but of course I cannot use the second wheel on my A4tech mouse. Very frustrating.

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

yes I can imagine it would be.
    Sorry I don't have the answer for you but maybe someone else will.

7. dougsilver

Well I found an old build on another computer (build 7.00.20 versus the latest 7.00.36). Deinstalled the newer driver on my Win98SE machine and loaded the "old" driver. Voila--the mouse works without any weird behavior and all wheels/buttons are functional. I guess this proves the adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

8. deuce

deuce

Yes I guess it does... however the less work the marrier applies to all senerios of life. :D Great working finding the fix and good luck to you in the future. :) Hope the mouse holds out for a while now that you got the drivers working... :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62218

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice