1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] annoying pop-up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jiminyt, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jiminyt

jiminyt Thread Starter

How do I keep the dial-up window from popping up every few minutes after I've disconnected from the net?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Per chance do you have Outlook, or Outlook Express open? If so, you need to change the options there from attempting to check email every so many minutes. I think in the options, send/receive, make sure you have checked, if there is not a connection, do not connect.

3. NotRite²

NotRite²

jiminyt,

If AcaCandy's suggestion is not the answer, you still do have a "program" trying to access the internet, thus attempting to dial up. Usualy suspects include games or demos of games or utilities of some sort. Demos are especially notorious for doing this. Next time that the dial up box pops up there, do the ole ctrl-alt-del key combo and "see" what is running. You may get lucky and see what it is that is trying to access. You may very well end up removing a program, or searching in its settings to disable such a feature.

P.S. I have the option AcaCandy pointed to chkd, but I never get that dial up box unless I have outlook either open, or running in the background, i.e. on start up or having opened it then minimized it to the task bar below.

Good Luck

4. jiminyt

jiminyt Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I disabled it with the tool bar - Internet options - Connections - never dial a connection

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice