1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Another bad MB?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hansmax, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

I recently bought a new motherboard (ASRock K7VM3) to replace the one I bought last (2005) Christmas. The first one was a Mach Speed with a bad IDE connector, but the Video did work. I started up the new board with the CPU (Sempron +2400), RAM (512 MB PC 2700), and nothing else connected. I got no display on my monitor (an old one that goes back to about 1995, but which was working last week with the old MB). There were no beeps. I tried all the FSB settings, still nothing. I brought my known good monitor upstairs, started up, and the monitor gave me a message like "Is there a video cord connected?" or something like that. Brought the monitor back here, plugged it in and it works fine. The new board (the ASRock) has on board video and audio. Should I assume that the on board video is no good, or are there other avenues I can explore. The board has an AGP slot (up to 4X). I could try an AGP card (would need to buy, don't have one), but I am hesitant to spend more money when the board may already be defective in one way (and maybe others). Any input would be appreciated. FYI, I already tried clearing the CMOS, and the manufacturer's site is pretty spotty, at best.

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

Did you get this board with the manual/box or just the board? If not you can download the manual here: http://www.asrock.com/support/download.asp?Model=K7VM3

That's a really old board and I wouldn't waste a dollar on buying an AGP card for it unless someone was willing to give you an old one for $10.00.

When you say
    are you saying that the CPU fan didn't spin, no indication that anything was getting power?

3. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

All the fans were working. I got the unit in the box, although the online manual, which I have, has a lot better detail that the one in the box.

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

Have you got an old PCI graphics card laying around to try?

5. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

No, I do not, and I'm not sure that it would be worth the $$ and effort, even if I could find one. (4X)

6. griffinspc

griffinspc

I was thinking a PCI card, not an AGP card but if you think the boards bad it should still be under warranty, right?

7. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

Yeah, I just got it in the mail, order date 1/15. I'm going to start working on that. Thanks for the input sofar griffinspc.

8. mfinnell

mfinnell

Hardware Requirements for Video: MB with processor and Memory,Power Supply,Hard drive
    and Video card if not on MB.on the bench out of the case.If still no Video then the board is bad.[If you get Video then make sure board is insulated from case]{Did I miss anything guys?}:D

9. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

I will give that a shot tomorrow when I take the mb out to repack it. As is, I was starting with just motherboard and memory - nothing else plugged in (besides the monitor, of course). I'm not getting beeps, but I know the boards getting power because all the fans are working. Just by chance, I even had a spare stick of known-good Ram that I swapped in, but to no avail.

10. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

Oh, yeah. I do have the board mounted on standoffs, so it isn't shorting.

11. telegramsam

telegramsam

That doesn't mean it's not shorting.
    If you have something to test it with--a video card, take it ALL out of the case.

Board, PSU, 1 stick of RAM and a video card. Hook up the power supply to the board and CPU power if it has it, and jump the switch contacts. If you don't have a bad core component, you will get a bios display.

12. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

I will try it when I take the board out. Still waiting for a return material authorization number. Now the runaround begins.

13. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

Tried it outside the case, still no go. Thanks for the input, people.

14. srhoades

srhoades

Did you try clearing the CMOS?

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

AS Rock boards are the fussiest boards I have ever seen on ram. One time I went through half a box before one worked, and same thing you have. You nbeed to match ram these days, not just find working sticks and throw them in.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice