Solved: Another computer won't boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hansmax

I'm trying to utilize an old computer, which, as of the last time I used it, worked fine. Now I'm trying to wireless network it, etc., and would like to reinstall Win98. I put a win98 boot floppy into it, and it just hangs at the initial BIOS screen. I have the boot sequence set as A, CDRom, C. The same thing happens when I have the boot floppy in and a win98 install CD in the CD drive. I've got two hard drives in that I want to configure, but I'm not even worrying about them at this point. I thought maybe the floppy drive is toast, but then why won't it boot from the CD drive? I figure I should at least be getting a message about how there's nothing to boot from, shouldn't I. The memory is detected, and the CD drives are. I've checked cables.
The computer is a P2 450 MHz, 128 MB of PC100 Ram. Any ideas of a trouble shooting seaquence I can take this thing through? I would appreciate any input.

is the A drive recognised by the bios? make sure power is connected right make sure ide cable is one for a floppy with pin stripe facing toward power connector, make sure it is plugged into mobo correctly again stripe at pin one

maybe some one here knows how to make a bootable cdrom with the win98 startup stuff, just by pass the whole 1.44fdd thing all together

hansmax

This is a lot to go over, thanks for the input. I will look at it tomorrow.

hansmax

This is becomming sort of a whole different problem. I'm going to mark this one solved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online