1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Another hard drive adapter question (sorry!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pench, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pench

pench Thread Starter

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, that is what that does if you pull the drive from the laptop and connect it with the adapter.

Why not just network whatever computers you want and you will have access to the laptop.

3. pench

pench Thread Starter

The laptop I have is broken, Its getting power but it wont boot up, im sending it back for repair next week but I was advised by the HP support line to back up any data cos it would probably end up back at factory settings.

I know some computer repair companies do data retrieval but im almost totally skint.

Would an USB 2.5 hard drive enclosure be better? (less complicated) Ive read that you have to remove the casing on the HD (which in my case would void the warranty) is this the case for all hard drive enclosures?

Would the Adapter Ive seen on Amazon allow me to connect it without interferring with the tamper seals? As far as I can see there arent any hidden connectors/pins obscured by the casing.

Its a catch 22 situation!

Thanks

4. pench

pench Thread Starter

*bump*

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are going to have to pull the drive to connect it. If that voids your warranty, then you have to decide which is more important; your warranty or your data.

6. pench

pench Thread Starter

That sounds like it would be ok then , Ive already removed the Drive from my laptop and it looks like I'd only void the warranty if the casing on it (which doesn't obstruct the connector anyway) was removed.

I'm gonna go for it. Thanks for your help :)

7. azvirus

azvirus

I have one of those, it works very nicely

8. pench

pench Thread Starter

^ thats a load off my mind.

I didn't like the thought of having some guy snooping through my hard drive doing 'data retrieval' and paying for the privilege.

Thanks again guys :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/607754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice