Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Another Invalid dynamic link call - a tricky one

2K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  JSntgRvr 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

long time reader, first time poster. before you get angry i have done extensive research over the past two weeks through resources like this and microsoft.com to try and solve my problem, but to no avail, so:

im running 98se on an amd system
abit kd7 (raid) mobo
os drive = matrox diamond max Plus 8

recently while booting i developed some bad clusters right in the middle of my system files. my heating was broken and i think it may have been caused from low tempratures as a second drive failed shortly after???

anyway, first error was BSOD from a corrupt vmm32.vxd

i was lucky enough to have a dual boot system (both running 98) so i copied the vmm32 across and it passed that stage.

now if i boot in safe mode i get past the windows splash and then the machine shuts down

if i boot using "step by step" and just load the minimum drivers im faced with another lovely BSOD telling me "invalid VxD dynaic link call from acpi(05) + 00000572 to device "oo26" service 8019"

microsoft says "0026" points to some kind of power management driver

i have downloaded the latest bios but havent flashed it as of yet

from the research ive done the prob points to the power configuration on my mobo. i have diasbled all the options in the BIOS acpi settings (they were disabled anyway) but no good.

i seem to be missing a driver file that something is calling for, and as i said i should have this driver on my other 98 drive, if only i could identify it.

have searched for anything with "acpi" but it only turns up acpi.sys which i have already copied. and i cant turn up anything with APM in the title either.

I am a musician and my last eighteen months work is at risk if i cant get this up and running. im scared ****less of reinstalling windows over itself to repair the files.

any help greatly appreciated, keep up the good work

Muddles

See less See more
#2 ·
The Vmm32.vxd is a monolithic file composed by every .vxd file used in the system. It is unique on each OS and cannot be copied from another system. There are two options to resolve this issue, either the Vmm32.vxd must be rebuilt, or the OS must be reinstalled.

Rebuilding the Vmm32.vxd is not easy task as every .vxd file reflected in the registry must be extracted from the Windows98 CABS, then converge them all into the Vmm32.vxd file.

Your call. Are these OS installed in the same drive or in different hard drives?

The following link will give you an idea of the complexity of the Vmm32.vxd file:

http://www.infinisource.com/techfiles/vmm32.html

Let us know what you want to do.

#3 ·
Hi JSntgRvr,

first of all i have to say im amazed at how quick i got a reply, and also that you took the time to do so. so thanks man.

well funny you mention that article. that was precisley where i found out that i could use the vmm32.vxd from my other drive. QUOTE "So if your file gets corrupted you can't just copy the one from you buddy's system and expect it to work unless his system was 100% identical to yours at the time you each installed the exact same version of Win9X"

i was running two versions of 98se from two seperate hard drives, on the same machine (in fact the second drive was a ghost copy of the first, stripped down after installation). reason being i use one os for runnning my everyday stuff, internet etc, and use the other version stritcly for music production.

both drives worked flawlessly until the recent disaster. drive 1 is an 40 gig maxtor (not matrox as i said in original post) and the second is a 10 gig western digital.

also since my first post i flashed the drive with the latest BIOS but I still get the same error.

#4 ·
FYI if i had to make a call on the situation i would say its a missing driver needed by my abit kd7(raid) to function. i have tried my best to figure out the root of the problem but just dont have the experience to know what to do.

obviously this file should be present on both drives, and therefore i should have a copy, but i cant for the life of me figure out what file(s) it could be

#5 ·
The installation must identical for the Vmm32.vxd to work.

The only file related to ACPI present in my Windows 98 SE installation is the Microsoft ACPI.SYS miniport. You can extract this file fom the Base5.cab cabinet files in the installation files using the System File Checker (SFC). That will resolve the issue is the ACPI.SYS file is corrupted.

Run SFC and extrat this file from your CABS folders Base5.cab into C:\Windows\System folder.

If the problem may have been related to the motherboard due to the lack of a drivers, Windows would have detected the specific problem and would have asked for the drivers. This is not happening. So I would say that the problem may be related to one of the drivers associated to one of the Peripherals connected to it.

Is this hapening on both installations?

#6 ·
the installation is identical

i have already copied acpi.sys over but i will try a clean extract this evening.

my error is "invalid VxD dynamic link call from acpi(05) (PART 1) + 00000572 to device "oo26" (PART 2) service 8019" (PART 3 )

so, knowledge from microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=137335&sd=RMVP

1) VMM(0A) + 0000001C." This example means the problem was detected in the VMM virtual device driver, in object 0A, at offset 0000001C

2) If Part 2 is a four-character sequence of letters and numbers, such as "0418," a device driver required by the system could not be found. If this is the case, install the missing driver or remove the driver identified in Part 1 that requires it.

3) If the service number is unusually large (for example, the first two digits are not both zero), reinstall the driver identified in Part 1

my other research has pointed me towards shutdown problems. safe mode shuts down after windows splash (without giving me the error) and step by step gives me the error and then shuts down. i presume its the same error, and i have tried to startup with even minimal drivers.

at the bottom of the page it lists the type of driver for each number so i can only presume "0026" is related to power management in some way or other

both installations are fried (i dont care about the other one) but its no good for testing purposes either

#7 ·
Not only must the hardware be identical, the installed software base must be as well. You only need to have one small difference to make the whole thing unusable as it uses absolute addressing internally.
I would back up any data files you can on a different machine, and do a re-install. It shouldn't overwite anything.
You could do a GHOST DISK BIT copy to the second disk before you re-install, That way you will still have a copy of the corrupt disk.

#8 ·
Dave,

i followed the articles advice by bob lehrer?? that stated i could use the vmm if it had been installed on an exact same system at the exact same time.

this was true in my case as one vmm was a copy of the other.

are you saying that software (un)installations will change the vmm32.vxd file?

if so is there any way i can tweak it to suit?

the reason i dont want to do a reinstall is that the guy who built the system for me and threw in some "free" software that i dont have copies of, and im worried that at least some of my programs will fail.

i dont have any data on this drive, only programs. but dont have the cash at present to get the guy to rebuild it for me (music is a vocation, not a paying job, for me anyway)

any other thoughts or possible solutions greatle appreciated

#10 ·
Dave,

thanks man, ill give it a shot. im aprehensive because ive only tried to reinstall over the top once before, many moons ago, and it went horribly wrong. hadnt much experience at time and i dont know what happened.

never heard the expression "GHOST DISK BIT " before can you point me to any good info resource, and also anywhere i can get a solid method of reinstalling windows on top?

#12 ·
im away from my other machine at moment. i know i used some drive copy utility (could have been partition magic) to copy the drive originally, cant remember now its almost a year ago.

ill worry about that bit.

any advice or links for a installing windows over the top??

#15 ·
Hi Guys,

just a quickey to say that i got rid of my lovely BSOD and my machine is back up running just fine again.

I followed the method of installing windows into a new folder and it really did the biz. machine is even starting up a bit quicker now too.

To be honest i was a bit worried i was going to end up with a rock solid OS and no other software working, but that didnt happen. i did have to reinstall one program, and i lost the use of one other, but overall it was well worth the trade off

so just to say my sincere thanks to you both for your help.

Over and out,

(a no longer muddled) Muddles

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.