1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Another Lexmark X73 & XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neilw, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neilw

neilw Thread Starter

I have just got a new dell dimension 4550 pentium 4 with XP. Put my Lexmark X73 from my old computer on to this new one. Followed the wizard and everything went well.
    However, once I switched off for the night and logged back on, it comes up with "found new Hardware" Then comes up with found new hardware wizard Lexmark X73 MFP scanner. If your hardware came with an installation CD or floppy disk insert it now. Tried it once by doing as it said but came up saying there was a problem with the CD (can't remmeber exact message). did restore of my system and tried again and same problem. It also comes up with "a problem occured during installation, your new hardware might not work properly.

The printer works ok, just frustrating that these messages come up everytime I log on

Any help - much appreciated

Cheers

Neil

2. hw45

hw45

From Lexmark tech. support:

If you have experienced problems when trying to install your X73 it may be that the Microsoft Windows Plug'n'Play installation procedure didn't complete as normal. To enable you to install your X73 correctly, you may need to completely uninstall any X73 related software and then reinstall fully. Here's how -

First you need to uninstall all X73 software:
    1. Click Start->Programs->Lexmark X73- >Remove X73.
    2. Unplug the USB cable from the back of your PC.
    3. Find and delete the following files, DRVDATA.BIN and DRVIDX.BIN (they will be located in the C:\WINDOWS\INF folder) and ACMONITOR_X73.EXE and ACMONITOR_X73.INI and LXARSCAN.DLL (C:\Programs Files\Lexmark X73 folder)
    4. Restart the PC

Now to reinstall the software:
    1. Insert CD1 into your CD-ROM drive
    2. Click "Install Now" in the screen that appears
    3. Follow the instructions on screen to install the printer software, printer driver and scanner driver. You will be prompted to connect the USB cable during the installation of the software, please wait until you are prompted before connecting the cable.
    4. To install the additional software insert CD2 and follow the on screen instructions.

3. neilw

neilw Thread Starter

HW45
    Many thanks for the help, but unfortunately it didn't work. Just a little bit more info which may give you a bit more insight, the found new hardware box came on after I put the plug into the USB port, after being prompted.
    If you follow the found new hardware wizard, it will eventually tells me that the software you are installing for this hardwars has not passed windows logo testing to verify its compatability with windows XP. Continue or Exit.

So I am back to having a printer installed that seems to be working OK, but the damm nuisance of the found new hardware and wizard everytime I log on

Anymore help much appreciated.

Many thanks

Neil

4. hw45

hw45

It should disappear when you continue with the driver installation even it is not windows certificated.

5. neilw

neilw Thread Starter

HW45
    Many thanks for the advice, I continued with the installation wizard as you said, and touch wood it has worked. I have restarted my computer and no annoying message.
    Once again many thanks for all your help

All the best

Neil

6. Janetlee

Janetlee

I came here to see if maybe someone had found something that would work to keep my Lexmark x73 from having to be reinstalled every time I use it. I bought for a Windows 98 system and had no problems.
    But the Dell xp is another thing. After a year of back and forth Dell tried and Lexmark tried, the new cables taking it to someone elses computer(not a Dell) Last November Lexmark said this fix was it. I didn't believe them I just never shut it off...of coarse my new cartridges dried up. But we were going to be gone for a few days so everything got turned off . I was sure to turn off the computer then the printer. Then turn on the printer then the computer and it just isn't going to work.

I am going to cut my losses and get something else.
    Thank you for being here. I am going to go read more. I just thought since I have really been trying to get this to work I might help someone else so they didn't go through a year or so like this. A printer shouldn't cause this much of a problem but it has for thousands.

Someone mentioned that his $149 machine went down to about $49. I too thought it was strange that in 2 years Lexmark has come out with their third all in ones..... the third ones have a Dell name but I bet they would like to forget the x70s and 80s...:) Janet Dell Dimension 8200,1.7 GHz processor, 256 MB Ram and a 40 GB hard drive. Thanks again

7. CathyD

CathyD

I am glad to see I'm not the only one with a Lexmark 73 problem. I thought I was going crazy. I have a wireless network at home and the Lexmark works fine on my Win98 but it doesn't on my laptop (both Dell products) I can see the Lexmark and I can see what its printing, but I can't print to it. I thought I was going crazy with this problem, but now I see its probably an issue with my WinXP and the Lexmark.
    I guess my solution is a new copy/scanner/printer?? Any other suggestions??

Thanks,
    Cathy

8. Janetlee

Janetlee

I ordered a HP printer from QVC, and today went into Office Max to get a scanner.....While talking to the young man there he said.....well you know you can use the 2000 drivers for that problem......I told him that he could use them I was sick of the whole thing and I needed a scanner now..... Then he offered to buy my x73.

You know if the 2000 drivers fixed my problem right now I really couldn't care less...

I really like the multi function and HP has one that I really thought about but desided to go this way.

Well, tonight I am scanning..... Probably Monday I will be printing too.....

I wonder what kind of discount he gets on the ink working there? lol....

I am satisfied that it isn't just the Dell computer because the x73 has not worked on others. I know it wasn't the usb cable because a new one didn't fix it. XP the problem I still think not. I still think that Lexmark just isn't doing something right.....but now? I am done with them......

Janet

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice