1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Another reformatting question or three

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by moinkansas, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moinkansas

moinkansas Thread Starter

I'm getting ready to upgrade from 95 to 98, and I'd like to reformat my C drive before I do. My PC was made from recycled parts of friends' computers, so I don't have system information/drivers on a manufacturer's disk. Is there any way to know in advance if that's going to be a problem if I use a Windows 98 Second Ed. (full version) OEM CD that I bought on ebay? (It has a COA.) I've copied the contents of C onto my D drive, and made a boot disk. Thanks in advance!

2. rkselby98

rkselby98

Go to my web site, I have a section that tells you how to do a clean format starting at formatting the hard drive and step by step instructions.

http://www.rselby.com/Windows.html#13

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    You could run into drivers problems but you can resolve most of them by going to the makers website and downloading the drivers. I'd also suggest going into DeviceManager and writing down the make and model number of the modem, video card, sound card and network cards before you format so you'll know that info if or when you need to get the drivers. After a clean reinstall of Windows, some device makes and model numbers, especially onboard devices and older hardware, can't be detected by Windows and they only will show things like, "PCI Communications Device", "Standard PCI....", etc... requiring you to pull open the cover and look for numbers on the card themselves. Writing down the info ahead of time will prevent the need to do that in most cases.

Start>Settings>CP>System>DeviceManager.

To get the video card info click on the "+" next to "Display Adapters". The make and model number of your video card will appear underneath. Now do the same on the "+" next to "Modems", "Sound, Video and Games Controllers" and "Network Adapters".

Let us know how it went.

4. moinkansas

Thank you both very much. Bryan, the device manager lists my modem as a Lucent Win Modem without a specific model number. Will that be a problem? (Not sure if it matters, but it's an internal 56K modem that I expect to only be using for another week or two.)

5. Randy48

Randy48

If you run into problems getting device drivers, go to The Drivers Guide and do a search.

The information you will need for most drivers is the chipset name and number. Look at the card, usually the largest chip is the one you're looking for. You said your modem was a lucent...start with that first. Find the large chip with Lucent on it, then write down the numbers under it. Do the same for video, sound, etc! Get all of the drivers before reformating (save them to another disk) and when you do a fresh install, you should have everything you need right there!

6. moinkansas

What a great site, Randy -- Thanks much!

7. moinkansas

Bryan wrote:

>Let us know how it went.

Great -- Thanks so much for your help!
    :D

8. Dan O

Dan O

Thanks for the feedback. I will mark this thread solved.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice