1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Antec Smartpower 2.0 500w - Bad?!?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bigolac, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bigolac

Bigolac Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I am in a bit of a quandary here....

Usually when I buy a new power supply, I use a ATX power tester to test the supply before going through the process of actually installing it. Up until now, I haven't had any problems until I ran into these two Antecs...

When the tester is plugged in, it reads that the -5 volt is dead. So I returned the supply and got another one. The new supply has the same result.

Before I install this in my system, has anyone else had this kind of occurrence? I bought the Antec hoping I would get a good, consistent dual 12v supply.

For what it's worth, the tester works with a twenty pin configuration, not 24 pins (although previous supplies with 24 pins has not affected it).

Thanks for reading....

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

There is no -5V rail on an Antec SP500.

http://www.antec.com/specs/SP500_spe.html

I am not aware of any motherboards that still use the -5V rail and my newest PSU tester doesn't even have a -5V test LED.

3. Bigolac

Bigolac Thread Starter

What the heck....

I read the link - thanks for your prompt response.

Apparently, I can ignore the -5v reading on this tester (which is a Powmax ATX Power Tester).

Again, thanks - I can get some sleep tonight...

BTW - What tester do you have and what would you recommend?

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

I use a Coolmax, an Antec and an EZ ATX 2.0 from FrozenCPU.com. The EZ will test more circuits, but they all work well. The old Coolmax won't test a 20+4 pin connector but the other two will. The EZ from FrozenCPU.com is the only one I have that will test a SATA connector.

As to the -5v rail, I'm sure some PSU's probably still have this rail, but the vast majority no longer incorporate this rail.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537844

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice