1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Anti-spyware software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Hughv, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hughv

Hughv Thread Starter

I support a few people in my area, mostly for web sites, hardware and OS problems, but lately I'm seeing spyware problems.
    I'm dealing with my second major spyware infestation in two weeks, and I wonder what I should be recommending to these poor folks.
    In both these cases, the AV (AVG) was out of date, and I suspect they're the type who'll click on anything bright and shiny.
    Should they be running as limited users? (XP is about all I see lately). Should they switch to MACs?
    What else do you recommend for people who need computers but are hopelessly ignorant and naive?:rolleyes:

2. masterjim

masterjim

Spyware Terminator is free and has HIPS(Host Intrusion Prevention System) which will warn you if a program tries to install itself on your system without your permission. And Windows Defender is a good backup antispyware which will notify you of any registry changes. SuperAntiSpyware also catches malware missed by other antispyware programs. There is a free starter edition of Spyware Doctor available from Google which has a shield you can activate to protect you from the nasties online. The pay-version Spyware Doctor is top rated by PC World magazine. Spy Sweeper is highly rated too, but it is not free. I use Spyware Doctor(free version),SuperAntiSpyware,Windows Defender and Spyware Terminator with integrated Clam AV and HIPS along with NOD32 AV on my XP MCE desktop and laptop and have had good results keeping my computers clean of malware,spyware,trojans and viruses.

3. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

4. 1stoptek

1stoptek

Another very good free program is Threatfire by PCTools. I like AVG Free Edition, Threatfire, and Windows Defender for great protection and all free.

5. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

6. ferrija1

ferrija1

Ferrija1's Canned Malware Removal Applications Post:

7. Hughv

Hughv Thread Starter

Thank you.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!