1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Anti Vermin bubble remains

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by spudule, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spudule

spudule Thread Starter

Hey there,
    like everyone else I downloaded a dodgy codec and got 2 pop ups, I uninstalled Anti Vermin pretty easily and removed it and it's registry settings. But the second bubble (the most annoying one) is still popping up. (The second bubble says: System Alert! as its alt text and then pops up intermittently with the message 'there are spyware on your blah blah etc etc etc'

When running SmitFraudFix it does identically what has been posted by other people, but the computer does not reboot and as if to taunt me the pop up jumps up when I close the program... In safe mode!

Is there something I'm missing here.

Tasks done:
    run HijackThis
    reboot in safe mode.
    Disable, uninstall and generally persecute Anti Vermin
    Run AVG anti-spyware
    Run SmitFraudFix
    reboot.. no luck
    run spybot for good measure
    update windows for good measure

that's it. This isn't my computer and I feel like such an idiot for falling for the old 'please download a codec' line.

I am contemplating reinstalling Anti Vermin fully and then doing the whole process again.

By the way I've not posted logs, because I can read them, if you really want to look then just ask, but please, any ideas.

Do you think reinstalling Anti Vermin so I can uninstall it is a good idea?

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Hi, Welcome to TSG!!

Please do post your log and what version of SmitFraudFix you are using, the fix log from that would be nice to see if you still have it.

3. spudule

spudule Thread Starter

two words:

System Restore

Can't believe I spent nearly 4 hours trying to solve this problem, when what I had to do was so simple
    Sure we've lost a bit of personalised info like web history and stuff, but come on! System Restore!!! Best part of windows by far (y)

4. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice