1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Anti-Virus Suddenly Alerts Me to Anti-Spyware... ?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by LilyNBlue, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LilyNBlue

LilyNBlue Thread Starter

I use avast! anti-virus... and have for a long time. I've been using SuperAntiSpyware for several months (as well as other antispyware programs), too, and they've always co-existed together with no problems.

Suddenly last night, avast! alerted me that SuperAntiSpyware "contains a sample of a Win:32 Trojan".

I'm no expert but I'm thinking this is unlikely, so I have told avast! to ignore SuperAntiSpyware, and NOT scan that SuperAntiSpyware.exe file.

Is this foolish?

Should I allow avast! to move the offending file to quarantine?
    Or should I uninstall SuperAntiSpyware first (since quarantining the exe file will certainly render it useless anyway)?
    Or can I continue to ignore the warning altogether??

Any expert advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

~Julie~

Additionally:

I connect to the 'net (and a home network!) wirelessly.
    My computer spec's are in the profile.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

I would uninstall Superantispyware and reinstall again. Then run avast again.

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

4. BlueEyedFox

BlueEyedFox Banned

Are you sure it wasnt a file in quarintine?

Its a false positive but, I dont understand why it would detect it now?

5. LilyNBlue

LilyNBlue Thread Starter

Thanks to all three of you for your advice -- and for the additional info, Byteman!. It's all very much appreciated.

After doing some additional reading on the subject, I'm no longer concerned... (y)

6. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

A detection would indicate exactly where the file was found, and the poster said, it was the main .exe of Superantispyware itself....anyway,

Often new detection updates will cause one of these false positives- and, sometimes well known good files are suddenly being found by an antimalware program, these things just happen from time to time.

Or, a file is detected by what it is capable of doing, how it acts, it's properties....

A few well known files that come installed on HP computers have been being detected for years, they are not critical needed files, and we regularly see these HP files found in several scanning programs' logs....

The hard part is to decide what to do- since there is malware that can indeed alter or actually replace a good file with itself, for example...Quarantining is thought to be the best thing to do, since a good item can be restored back from Quarantine after further research and scans indicate it is not malware.

Recently, one popular antimalware program used worldwide detected the important Windows program explorer.exe as malware! Now, that is quite a "blunder", it affected many users and the company issued a new Update that set things straight, at least for users who did not have their security program set to automatically delete infected items found...others had to jump through some hoops to put back explorer from their protected system file cache, or from their XP CD, etc.

You never know- the key is to look up information on the exact filename, or ask for help.

7. LilyNBlue

LilyNBlue Thread Starter

Indeed, ALL true. And exactly why I suspected a false positive in this instance:

I had just run database updates on both programs, and a program update on SuperAntiSpyware. I suspected that avast! alerted me because of SuperAntiSpyware's capabilities/permissions with my system. (The only confusing "red flag" for me was avast!'s mention of the trojan. That prompted me to get second opinions.)

Agreed. That's why TSG is so valuable!

Thanks again, Byteman. Your input is sincerely appreciated! :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/715748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice