1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: anti virus

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by geeksrus, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geeksrus

geeksrus Thread Starter

when i had my new laptop in june i was sold norton anti virus.i could hardly ever get on line until i was told to uninstall the norton antivirus, when i did i could connect to internet.i installed 3 months free mcafee antivirus which is now ending.anyone have an idea why norton was no good and can i get free mcafee antivirus again as it seems excellent?

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Would be a bit difficult to explain exactly why you had trouble with Norton A/V, or whatever type of Norton product you had....lots of people have problems with it, and lots of folks love it.

For example, if you had a proxy server for your Internet connection- you could have had issues.

You probably cannot get McAfee again for free.... if you want free, here is one:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/AVG_Free_Edition_d886.html

Download to your favorite download folder> you might want to save the download, stash it someplace if you want.

You must first UNinstall the other antivirus programs (any Norton remaining, and any McAfee Antivirus entries) from Add/remove Programs in Control Panel. You will see a prompt about the files in the Virus Vault, I would say Yes, to delete those files. Also, go into Windows Explorer, down in Program Files, and delete the old folders from McAfee.
    You may have to restart, do so.

Start the install- it's simple, just follow the prompts. Update to the latest definition files.

Your default settings are to start a full system scan at 8 am each day, this will also start when you start the computer first time each day, if past 8 am...so, I normally set my own preferred time, or tell it not to do this full scan every day....Open the Control Center> click on the Test Center then, you see the Sceduled Tasks....find the Test plan in basic mode and click at the bottom Edit Schedule take the checkmark out of "Periodically start scheduled antivirus test" set your own preferred time if you want.

If you don't set one, you will not be automatically starting any system scan! Either you set a time, or you have to remember and do a full scan when you have time.

Then, after you are updated, do a full scan and tell us if anything was found....

You can save a full list of things that were placed int he Virus Vault this way:

Open the Test Center, and then the Virus Vault, at the top click Program and Export List to File
    In the window, select the location you want the list saved IN, and name the file avgtest...it will have the .csv extension, which opens in Notepad, copy and paste the contents of the results into a Reply here in your thread. Or, attach the file to your post using Manage Attachments button.

3. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

AVG is the beast, better than Norton.

4. rka0

rka0 Banned

5. geeksrus

geeksrus Thread Starter

thanks for all the advice.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!