1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: antivirus / malware

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Brockk4, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brockk4

Brockk4 Thread Starter

hey. i just restored my dell to factory settings and I was wondering what the going recommendation is for free antivirus/malware combinations is? i have a dell inspiron running windows 7. Thanks!

2. valis

valis Moderator

microsoft security essentials will probably get 80% of the votes, with avg or eset rounding out the rest. :)

3. ckphilli

ckphilli

Seconded, with an alternative browser (I like Chrome).

4. valis

valis Moderator

meh.....finally tried chrome, but I am waaaaay too used to FF. Which, actually, is all the more reason to keep fiddling with chrome. :)

5. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Microsoft Security Essentials 4.0.1526.0

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.65.0.1400

SUPERAntiSpyware 5.5.0.1016

They're all free and user-friendly and do a good job, and they're well suited for newbie/novice users. (y)

They're what I use in all my Windows XP/Vista/7 computers.

------------------------------------------------------

6. Brockk4

Brockk4 Thread Starter

do i need all 3 together or is it a 1 or the others situation? Thanks for all the advice!

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

You will want all 3.

8. fraz1

fraz1

just what i was after,but at the moment i have comodo,do i uninstall that before or after i get these?btw sorry for butting into your post brockk4.

9. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Do you have COMODO antivirus or firewall or both?

MSE is an antivirus program, so you need to make sure not to have 2 antivirus programs installed at the same time.

MBAM and SAS are not antivirus programs and are used for combating malware, spyware, rogues, hijackers, adware trackers, etc..

-----------------------------------------------------------

10. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Personally, I think most free av is worth the price.

11. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

While I think that Chrome has better security than Firefox (since it supports sandboxing and implements it's own versions of Flash and a pdf reader) it certainly isn't perfect. Chrome's pdf support is crippled, and if you view a pdf page that isn't fully supported in Chrome, you are prompted to download the current version of the Acrobat Reader. I'm thinking that defeats the purpose of an integrated pdf reader. The Foxit Reader and Nitro PDF are better choices.

Even without any add-ons, Firefox gives you better control over javascript than Chrome. If you use a lot of Firefox plugins, Chrome doesn't offer replacements for most of them.

So, if you want a basic browser with good security and no frills, Chrome is your best choice. If you want a more customisable browser, Firefox is the clear choice. The difference in performance is negligible.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1068676