1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: any help, tips, or suggestions 4 windows xp re-install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by skooterbum, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skooterbum

skooterbum Thread Starter

ok, here's what i want / need to do......

i have windows xp service pack 3 on my computer. this system is almost 9 years old. it is not performing well at all. i have never re- installed my windows xp. i am thinking that if i do a re-install of windows, that it might help the operation of my system.

i am not well versed on the operation of computers. i am a self tought, disaster waiting to happen !!...lol

my question is, what do i need to do / backup / copy before i stick my windows cd in the drive ??

if i could get volunteers to walk me through this process, that would be GREAT !!!

back when i had windows 95, i used to re-install that with no problems. but i seems that things have changed enough, that windows xp is a whole other ball game....

if anyone is willing to help me through this process, pease understand that i am not familiar with a lot of this, but am a good student, that pays attention, and asks questions. sometimes to many questions...

i have read through the sticky's explaining the process to re-install windows. i would feel a lot better if i had someone, or a group of people, to help walk me through this....

also, i have an external, WD Elements 1TB external hard drive. i have a ton of pics saved on it. i am thinking i can backup what ever is needed onto this drive, to use with the re-install of my windows ??

thanks in advance, to anyone willing to help me with this project !!!!!!!!

ron

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you want XP SP3 as a final result, you should use an XP SP3 CD to do the installation. It is asking for trouble to install and then upgrade your OS maybe even more than once. Backup files will use space on your drive needlessly. And if you don't make or have an XP SP3 CD, you won't be able to use it for repairs and replacement of files.

Save yourself trouble later and install XP SP3 directly. It is an easy process. Just boot from the CD and follow the prompts. The only suggestion I have is that you remove all your partitions and create new ones while you have the chance. A minor error in your partition table or its backup may not even show right now but lead to disaster later.

Automatically Slipstream Windows XP with SP3 and All Post-SP3 Security Hotfixes with a Single Command

You should certainly already have important files backed up since drives will all fail and sometimes unexpectedly. Back up anything you want to keep.

Saving your drivers from the current installation will save you searching for them afterward.

WinDriversBackup
    DriverBackup! 2
    DriverMax
    Driver Magician Lite (mirror)
    Driver Collector
    Double Driver

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer?

If perchance it's a Dell brand, advise what the 7-character service tag number on the sticker is.

If perchance it's a HP or Compaq brand, advise what the product number(P/N) on the sticker is.

Does it have a Microsoft COA sticker with the 25-digit serial number and Windows version on the case?

Note: DON'T submit the serial number here!)

--------------------------------------------------------

Is your CD a "full" or "upgrade" version of Windows XP?

Does it contain SP1 or SP2 or SP3?

Is it Home Edition or Professional Edition or Media Center Edition?

-------------------------------------------------------

Go into the Device Manager.

What's listed in these headings?

Display Adapters

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers

Network Adapters

Sound Video And Game Controllers

4. skooterbum

my PC was built by a local shop. so it's not a dell or HP. i have all of the original paperwork from them, so i hope it will supply us with any neccessary information that i am not able to get from my pc.

i have the windows xp home edition, version 2002, and i have the 25 digit product key. it is ......just kidding !! i do have the key.....the install cd doesn't state if it's a "full", or an "upgrade" version. i hope it's a full version.

in device manager, i found the information you asked for. it's as follows......

1 - display adapters.....S3 graphics ProSavage DDR

2 - IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers......primary IDE channel
    secondary IDE channel
    VIA bus master IDE controller

3 - network adapters......VIA PCI 10/100 Mb fast ethernet adapter #2

4 - sound, video, and game controllers......audio codecs
    media control devices
    legacy audio drivers
    legacy video capture devices
    MPU-401 compatible MIDI device
    standard game port
    video codecs
    vinyl AC'97 codec combo driver (WDM)

in reguards to Elvandil's post, what you are saying makes sense, but i am not able to follow what you suggest do do. i am finding out what my limitations are here......it's not good..:(

ron

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Besides the CD saying

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 2002

does it show a service pack number?

-----------------------------------------------------

The ECS EliteGroup P4VMM2 motherboard comes with these devices:

VIA VT8752 chipset

VIA S3 ProSavageDDR video

VIA AC'97 audio

VIA VT6103 LAN

All the device drivers can be obtained here by navigating through these entries:

Microsoft Windows - Windows XP

Hyperion Pro(4in1) chipset drivers - version 5.24A

Integrated Graphics - S3 Pro SavageDDR IGP - version 139433

Audio - VIA AC97 - version 7.00b

Ethernet - VT6103 Rhine - version 3.87a

Download and save them, then burn them off to a CD-R or copy them to a USB thumb drive or both.

-----------------------------------------------------

6. skooterbum

no Flavallee, my windows cd does not, show anything about a service pack.

for what it's worth, i've made a copy of a "boot-able cd", as well as, i've copied the complete c: drive to my external WD I: drive.

now i'll get the downloads that you've posted, and get them saved. would it be ok to save them to my external WD drive ?? i will go ahead an do it that way, and if i need to copy them to another device, it can easily be done.

reason i'm asking, is i only have, cd's to burn on, or my external drive to save to. presently i don't have any other sources to put any information onto.

i can get anything that you suggest that i might need though.....i have some money put back just for this project......

ron

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

What bootable CD did you make?

Yes, your external will be fine. They are very useful to have.

(My directions above may have been a little complicated, but it is not absolutely necessary that you do it that way. It was my suggestion, but you can certainly just install XP and then update it with the service packs. I would, however, still advise that you download one of the programs I linked and save your drivers to a folder on your external so you will have them for later.)

8. skooterbum

thank you Flavallee, and Elvandil, for taking the time to help me with all of this !! there is no way i would be getting this done by myself !!

in another thread, it was suggested that i make a boot-able flash drive. that's all that was said. so i went to my Easeus program, and made a Linux, backup, boot-able media builder cd. honestly, i have no idea, exactly what that is, but i have one, i think....lol

my impression is, that if my system crashes, and all else fails, i can use this cd to reboot my computer, to get it back up and running again......

ron

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, they are very useful to have. I'll link to my favorite one at the end of this post. But certainly nothing like that is needed to install Windows. All you need is the CD. If you need the USB key for something else, or if you ever plan to use it on a machine that doesn't boot from USB, you may also want to make a CD when you get the chance.

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
    If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

10. skooterbum

thanks Elvandil, i will take a look at that, and make a copy to have on hand !!

Flavallee, i have the drivers saved that you suggested i get.

ron

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

It appears flavallee is not here. Are you ready to install?

12. skooterbum

well, i think i have everything copied / saved, that was reccomended to copy / save.

so if re-installing my windows-xp is the next step, then i think i am ready for that.

although i need some advice on performing that task as well. or at least some nudging, to get me going in the right direction. it would help to have as few surprises as possible...lol !!

especialy since i don't have another PC available, to get back online with, if i mess it all up ....:eek:...just my luck !!!

i'm not going to do anything untill i get the OK from you guys....

ron

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Before you start doing a hard drive format and clean reinstall of Windows XP, make sure to disconnect the optional devices(printer, external hard drive, etc.) from the computer.

The only devices that should be connected to the computer are the necessary devices(monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.).

Here is a good pictorial install guide that you might want to look at and get familiar with first.

14. skooterbum

thank you Flavallee !! i will study the info from the site you posted, and if i don't get any more advice from you, i will move on to the install of windows, and do as you have posted.

if all goes well, i will be back here some time tomorrow.

i have chores to take care of today :(

ron

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Good luck, and we'll be waiting to hear from you. :) (y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024445

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice