1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Any way to make the "C" key close a window?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by redoak, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

As best I can determine, all the right click menu items key controls of XP work in WS7, except "C" for close a window. Right click an open window in the task bar and a menu comes up as expected. BUT tapping "C" does not close the window, you have to place the pointer on 'close' and left click on the mouse. Very annoying, at least to me.

{redoak} :mad:

2. SevenUp132

SevenUp132

i cant figure out your issue, well in my case of i r-click a window and press "c" the window close...
    but i use a much easier way to close window in one click on the red X on the top right of the window.
    also "alt"+"f4" without any click :p

3. redoak

Thanks for the reply.
    You say, "in my case of i r-click a window and press "c" the window close..."

That is what will not occur for me. Have you made a particular setting.

The oddity is that all other right click menu key commands work as they do in XP. For example, "D" for "delete" and "Y" for "yes."

4. SevenUp132

SevenUp132

i have windows 7 pro 64bit here and another machine with the 64bit ultimate edition and they both close the window with a r-click+"c" and i dont think i made any particular settings for that since i dont use this "closing" method (or inconsiously made settings.)cant say if the edition of windows changes something?!, nor 32 and 64bit? because I only have 64bit versions and no lower versions than pro. what edition of windows do you have? 32 or 64bit?

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    On ALL of my machines it is a WHITE "X" on a RED button :D

6. SevenUp132

SevenUp132

thats what I meant! :( thanks for the correction :)

7. redoak

My Ws7 is 64 bit. I know what you are pointing out about the white X on a red field. The point is, I don't like to have to move the curser! In XP you do not have to- right click and tap "C", bingo, the window is gone.

I am more curious as to why of all the key commands, "C" for close will not work the way it does in XP than I am lazy.

I was told a week or so ago how to bring back the underlining of the right click menu keys that was done routinely in XP. It seems that the Ws7 programmers
    have done everything possible to eliminate the conveniences of XP!

{redoak}

8. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    On my XP and Windows 7 machines, this right clicking must be done in the Title bar and it the closes with the C. As far as I can remember it has ALWAYS been this was.

A right click and a C will in most programs jump to the "Copy" function, within any program window area.

9. redoak

I am referring to the Task Bar. See the attached. In XP if you right click on the open window 'panel' and then tap the "C" key, the window closes. This does not happen in Ws7, at least not on my machine.

{redoak}

Attached Files:

10. valis

valis Moderator

huh.....never knew that shortcut existed in windows.......see, redoak, even you can teach a less-old dog new tricks. :)

fwiw, I've always used the alt-tab to whatever I want closed, then alt-f4......I'm also not a 'mouse' person.......used to have a shirt that said 'the keyboard is an input device as well'.

Guess that sorta solidifies my 'geek' status.

11. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Remember that the Task bar and quick launch have been combined and redone in Windows 7, I do not think you will get what you want unless you setup your machine to use the "Classic" Taskbar.

12. redoak

DaveA: How do I change to the "classic" task bar?

13. valis

valis Moderator

14. redoak

Thanks for the link: I allowed the 'program' to create a XP type task bar. I am much more comfortable with that. However, an open window still can not be closed by right clicking the task bar 'panel' and then tapping the "C" key.

It appears that I will have to accept that Ws7 peculiarity. Still baffled by the fact that all other XP keyboard commands work. They did even before they were underlined in the right click menus.

{redoak}

15. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Are you sure that the "C" will close the program?
    As stated earlier, on my XP machines, this usage of "C" will go to "Copy".
    You may have had a third add in that changed things. I do NOT ever remember see the method of closing a program.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/964441

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice