1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Any way to recover files after a parition has been deleted?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kyin01, Sep 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kyin01

kyin01 Thread Starter

So something went wrong with my windows XP on another computer and now I'm trying to recover the files.

What initially happened was that when I started my computer it wouldnt boot into safe mode or normal mode. So i tried to do a Repair on the windows XP partition using the XP disc.
    However I think I may have accidentally installed instead of doing a repair option. I canceled when I noticed it but I believe the installation already have maybe deleted the partition?

Anyways, is there a way to get back the files that were originally on there? I don't mind re installing windows after I have extracted the old files.

I was thinking of using a bootable flashdrive and running certain programs that will recover the old files. Any way of doing so? What programs/ bootable flashdrive should I use?

2. Firebreather

Firebreather

Try recuva or file scavenger.

3. gurulounge

gurulounge

I used this once after accidentally deleting ALL partitions on my harddrive. It managed to recover them and I could save my files. It recovers partitions and files as well:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Jeff

4. kyin01

kyin01 Thread Starter

Hmm how do I use the programs if I can't get into windows?in guessing a bootable flashdrive that's compatible with those programs?

5. gurulounge

gurulounge

When I used it I had a Knoppix live CD to boot from. I had the testdisk files on a flash drive which I was able to plug in and access from Knoppix.

Knoppix is available here:
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Jeff

6. kyin01

kyin01 Thread Starter

thanks ill try that and come back with what happened

7. kyin01

kyin01 Thread Starter

So turns out my files were never deleted, it just installed a new windows folder on the same partition.

I noticed this when I was using a liveCD and still saw the files.

Thanks guys

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!