1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Any way to totally erase a file association, leaving no association?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by marie500, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

XP Home SP2
    Can I totally remove a file association so that type of file once again has no association set? I set some dat files to open with WMP which was fine for my purposes then but later changed them to mpeg files and so don't need to keep that dat file association anymore. I want to get the dat files back to having no particular program assigned to open them. All I can do now is change it to other programs which isn't what I want. Any way to start with a clean slate again? (I guess I could change the dat icon so I can tell what they are if there's not a way to unassociate them.) Dat files have always kind of spooked me, I want to be sure people don't click them thinking they'll play a vcd.

2. Deathblow

Deathblow

Go into file association and delete the one you want to get rid of. It's under folder options/file types in control panel or under tools in my computer.

3. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

Thank you, it's done!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice