1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Anyone had this problem when installing Windows XP on a new hard drive?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by freemarlie, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. freemarlie

freemarlie Thread Starter

I got myself a 160GB hard drive to replace my 20GB one for my Dell Latitude C840 laptop. When I start the XP installation, I ran into this pop-up.

It says:

"An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing.

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.

Press OK to view the Setup log files"

So I clicked OK and got this pop-up:

which says:

"Error:

The digital signature catalog D:\I386\NTPRINT.CAT could not be installed. The error code is fffffc02.

The system cannot find message text for message number 0xfffffc02 in the message file for syssetup.dll.

Error:

The digital signature catalog D:\I386\NT5IIS.CAT could not be installed. The error code is fffffc02.

The system canno find message text for message number 0xfffffc02 in the message file for syssetup.dll

Error:

the digital signature catalog D:\I386\MAPIMIG.CAT could not be installed. The error code is fffffc02

The system cannot find message text for message number 0xfffffc02 in the message file for syssetup.dll.

Error:

The digital signature catalog D:\I386\MW770.CAT could not be installed. The error code if fffffc02.

The system cannot find message text for message number 0xfffffc02 in the message file for syssetup.dll

Error:
    Setup encountered an error while trying to set system security.

Unable to read from or write to the database.

Warning:
    Setup failed to remove the product catalog SP1.CAT.

Error:

The signature for Windows XP Professional Setup is invalid. The error code is fffff02.

The system cannot find message text for message number 0xffffff01 in the message file for syssetup.dll.

Fatal Error:

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. this is a falal error. The setup log files should contain more information.

Warning:
    Setup failed to remove the product catalog SP1.CAT.

Error:

The signature for Windows XP Professional Setup is invalid. The error code is ffffff01.

The system cannot find message text for message number 0xffffff01 in the message file for syssetup.dll.

Fatal Error:

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.

Error:

The signature for Windows XP Professional Setup is invalid. The error code is 17.

Data error [cyclic redundancy check]

Fatal Error:

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup logs files should contain more information.

Error:

The signature for Windows XP Professional Setup is invalid. The error code is 17.

Data error [cyclic redundancy check].

Fatal Error:

Error:

Thge signature for Windows XP Professional Setup is invalid. The error code is 17.

Data error [Cyclic redundancy check].

Fatal Error:

"

I'm using the original Windows XP Pro CD that came with my laptop. Can anyone help me with this?

2. Lance1

Lance1

I would venture to say that it is Bad Ram could be the cause for this.

3. brianF

brianF

4. bbearren

bbearren

5. freemarlie

Ok, I did upgrade my laptop to 1GB. So I tried swapping out the two 512MB RAMs and put in my original 128MB memory stick and tried installing XP again. The installation progressed a lot further, but then I got this. It's trying to install software for "System". WTF?? What the heck is it talking about? I chose to let it search for the software on its own on the XP installation CD but the wizard came back saying the software was not installed because it couldn't find it. So I tried putting in the CD that contains the Drivers and Utilities but the wizard couldn't find anything in that CD either. The same Found New Hardware window popped up several more times. I eventually clicked cancel and the installation seemed to continued, but then it got this. It says "[74,9] The value for this attribute is not valid: language". I OKed it and the installation just sat there not doing anything.

6. bbearren

bbearren

7. freemarlie

I was finally able to make the XP installation work. I had to create three partitions, two of them being 55GB and the third partition was made from whatever disk space that remained (20GB). I first tried installing Windows in the first 55GB partition but that didn't work. Then I tried installing in the second partition and the installation completed successfully.

It looks like BIOS has put a limit on the amount of disk space that it recognizes my new hard drive to be. Even though the new drive is 160GB, it is showing the drive to be 137.4GB on the BIOS screen. Maybe that has to do with the problems that was preventing me from completing the installation successfully.

8. bbearren

bbearren

You need SP2 (or3) to recognize the full size of the hard size.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/813588

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice