1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Anyone know how to set computer to shut down?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by tja, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tja

tja Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimensions 3000 computer. My operating system is Windows XP. Does anyone know if I can set my computer to shut itself down at a specific time?

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Go to Control Panel > Scheduled Tasks. Create a new task.

Enter the time you want the following command to run:

shutdown.exe -s

Open Notepad and type in the above command.

Save as, let's say Shutdown.bat.

In your scheduled task, browse to the location where you've saved the batch file.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

4. Phantom010

tja,

Are you going to give us any feedback?

5. Wallenberg

Wallenberg

You would think that shutting down the PC is a fairly straightforward issue. But it is a lot more complex than it would seem.

If it was so straightforward, there wouldn't be so many utilities available to do it. But when I Googled for "shutdown PC utilities", I found hundreds of these kinds of apps. At the end of this post, I will list a brief description of eight of these chosen at random to give you an idea of why this issue is more complicated than it would seem.

But, in a nutshell, here are some of the issues involved:

. Kind of shutdown - there are many definitions - shutdown/reboot/restart/hibernate/lock/sleep mode/standby mode - it seems like you have to spend hours learning what each of these are so that you can make the right choice.

. Nature of the "shutdown" - Do you want all running apps to be forced to shutdown without warning? Or do you want to query the user to give them the choice to shutdown each running app?

. Different definitions of "Idle"
    1) user has been idle - this means they didn't press any keys or use the mouse
    2) PC has been idle - this means no background apps were started - no batch files were automatically run, etc.

Here are eight randomly chosen utilities and a brief description of each to give you an idea of why this issue is more complicated that it would first seem.
    http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwshutdown.HTML
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EMCO NOPING INSPECTOR

EMCO noPing Inspector is a small tool that will automatically shut down/reboot/hibernate or log off your local machine when it has lost network or Internet connectivity. The program pings a user specified IP address and performs the selected action if it cannot successfully ping the remote host (3 times). EMCO noPing Inspector can run in the system tray and keep a detailed log file.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SDS (SHUTDOWN SCHEDULER)

SDS (Shutdown Scheduler) allows you to automatically reboot, shutdown or hibernate your computer in standby mode. You can trigger the computer shutdown, or application close action at a given time, after a countdown elapses, when the computer is idle, or when specific conditions are met. The program ca also save a desktop capture before shutting down, terminate modem connections, close applications and more.
    AMP WINOFF

AMP WinOFF is a utility to automate the shutdown of Windows. It supports shutdown, restart, hibernate, lock workstation, and can also be scheduled to perform the action at a regular time or when the CPU becomes idle. In addition, it can hang up the modem, capture the desktop and/or execute a program before the shutdown. AMP WinOFF also supports command line options for further automation by advanced users.
    SHUTTER

Shutter is a shutdown utility that can automatically perform various shutdown operations including reboot, log off, hibernate etc. and also turn off your monitor or trigger an alarm. In addition, the program can also play a custom sound and/or run a program of your choice, in addition to a simple shutdown message. These actions can be triggered by a number of events, such as a countdown, user inactivity, low CPU usage, low battery, and more, or on a specific time of day, as well remotely via a web interface. Shutter can only be used to run a single task at a time, you cannot create multiple event/action scenarios.
    PC SLEEP

PC Sleep is a simple timer that can shut down or reboot (hibernate, standby, logoff) your computer at a specific time of the day or in X minutes/hours. The program is very easy to use and suited for occasional use, as it does not provide any recurring scheduling options or other advanced features. One minute before the scheduled action, a reminder will alert you from the system tray and allow you to cancel the shutdown if needed.
    BRUTUS

Brutus is a small tool that lets you log off, lock, restart, or shut down your computer with a single click. It adds 4 new icons to the Quick Launch bar (next to your Start button) that allow you to perform either operation by simply clicking on them. You can configure the shutdown options to close Windows normally, force a shutdown and to terminate hung applications.
    POWERCLICK

PowerClick is a very simple utility, that provides access to shutdown, restart, standby, hibernate, log off and station lock commands from the system tray. Useful if you prefer to access these options from the tray, instead of the Start Menu.
    TIMED SHUTDOWN

Timed Shutdown can be used to automatically shutdown your computer. It supports shutdown,reboot and logoff at a user-specified time, after a countdown elapsed, when the CPU usage reaches a certain level or when your internet connection is disconnected. The program sits in the system tray when running so it can be easily aborted and optionally display a warning message before taking action. Timed Shutdown can also be run from the command line. Easy to use.

6. tja

tja Thread Starter

I apologize to all for not replying quickly. Just checked my e-mail and found I had the replies to this thread. I tried the first option suggested by Phantom010. When I select "Add scheduled task", there is another pop-up box that is entitled "Scheduled Task Wizard". It wants me to "pick a program you want Windows to run" and also says if I want to see more tasks not in the populated list, I can use the "browse" button. So, on this option, I'm stuck as to what to do next.

7. Phantom010

Open Notepad and type in (or paste): shutdown.exe -s

Save it as Shutdown.bat

Go to Control Panel > Scheduled Tasks. Create a new task.

Click on Browse and navigate to the location where you've saved Shutdown.bat. That will be your "Program" to pick.

Choose the time you want your computer to shut down.

8. tja

tja Thread Starter

OK. I tried that. It didn't work. When I got to the end of scheduling the task with the task scheduler, I got a pop-up box with this message:

"The new task has been created but may not run because the account information could not be set.
    The specific error is: 0x80070005: Access is denied.
    Try using theTask page Browser to locate the application."

I don't know what this message means. When I use the Scheduled Task Wizard, it inserts a user name which I left as-is. Also, I have no problem browsing and locating the application (Shutdown.bat) which I saved to the desktop.

9. tja

tja Thread Starter

Re Squashman's post (Asking a question the smart way) . . . I went to the link Squashman posted in his/her reply & read it. Before creating this thread, I searched the help on my computer, searched the internet, searched the forums here (I did not know what "Shutdown.bat" meant until I got the reply from Phantom010). I've used Tech Support in the past to remove malware and have been very satisfied (& have made donations). I try to make sure I'm following the rules and exhausting other options before asking for help here.

10. Squashman

The links in my signature file are there for reference. Really has nothing to do with your question at hand. They are attached to every post I make here automatically. That is what a signature file is for.

Scheduling a batch file requires that a user name and password be set for it to run if you are not logged into the computer.

Did you actually click the link I posted to help. It is a pretty nice Shutdown utility. Graphical user interface and pretty straight forward to use.

11. Wallenberg

Wallenberg

Mr. Squashman,

May I ask if you are the developer of this software? It's not clear whether you are the author or whether you are just recommending this package.

I took a look at PowerOff and it is very nice and clean. However, unless I missed something, it wouldn't allow me to shutdown after the PC has been inactive for a certain length of time.

That is the major thing that I need. I sometimes forget my PC is running and I leave the premises and I can be gone overnight or for the weekend. I feel that leaving my PC running for a 3 day weekend is a very scary thing for me.

One of the simplest utilities (I don't remember exactly which one it is) offers the choice to shutdown after the PC has been inactive for a certain length of time and it defines "inactivity" with two levels. The first level is that no person has touched the machine - meaining the keyboard and mouse have not been touched for a certain length of time. The second level includes this first level but also includes that no background process has been run. That is, sometimes a scheduled task can begin execution without anyone touching the PC. And I believe there are other ways for processes to run without a human touching the keyboard or the mouse. This second level is how I like to define inactivity. Namely, the PC has been doing absolutely nothing for a certain length of time.

This second level of inactivity is more stringent and I think that offering these two levels is the mark of a truly advanced package.

Unfortunately, most all of the freeware utilities available do not offer this capability.

The only one I know offhand is the AHK built-in shutdown facility. The problem with that is that in order to use it, people have to know a little bit about programming because it has to be set up within a program. I can give instructions on how to use it. But every time someone wants to change something, they have to go in and modify the program code. That is very unfortunate because most people aren't willing to go to that much trouble.

12. Squashman

We used PowerOff at one of the school districts I worked for. It worked just fine for our needs. All computers on the network were scheduled to shutdown at 8pm every night if they were still turned on.

13. tja

tja Thread Starter

OK. I've downloaded PowerOff and am going to try it and see how it works. I'll re-post to let you know whether it worked for me.

14. tja

tja Thread Starter

I downloaded PowerOff and scheduled it for daily poweroff (checked all days) and selected the time. When I checked this a.m., it hadn't worked. I have Malwarebytes scheduled to run a quick scan about half an hour prior to poweroff. That scan only takes 10-15 minutes. The recent updates to Malwarebytes has a notepad pop-up and shows the results of the scan as well as the general screen for malwarebytes. Since those updates, I've had to manually close Notepad and "exit" (minimize to tray) Malwarebytes.

When I checked the computer this a.m., those MB screens were up and also the windows pop-up that comes up if Task Manager is used to end an application or shut down ("the program is not responding, if you 'end now', you may lose...."). I selected the "cancel" option for the "end now" box and then closed MB boxes.

I ran PowerOff again and this time selected "Force applications to close". When I press OK, I get this message: "Please make sure that you create or update the PowerOff service, so that the action can be performed according to your schedule". I don't know what that means. When I select "Do It" on PowerOff, it minimizes to the tray & when I put the cursor over it, it says "FORCE POWEROFF scheduled at . . . . ".

Any comments/suggestions?

15. Phantom010

Did you try it?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice