1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: AOL and wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by M_Mike, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. onsite

onsite

I was reading about this, PPPOA is a lot different then PPPOE here in the states.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Ok - so those settings i gave should work for UK

but are you using your user name with @aol.com on the end
    I have managed to get a non-AOL router to work on AOL on a BT line in Surrey OK
    i would reset the router again - do a hard reset and then go through all the settings - make sure you have not typed something in error - I spend 3 days once trying to fix a new router and instead of an L I had an I but all in lower case so
    i instead of l
    i even read it back to the router support, shop support and ISP as correct
    in the end the shop made me do a complete reset and start again
    dah dah - did i feel silly ,........

3. M_Mike

M_Mike Thread Starter

I still am having no joy with this.

I have used the username with @aol.com. I reset the router to the factory settings and rebooted the router then entered the information again.

I notice in the Network Connections in windows that it shows there is an internet gateway but what do i need to do to use this.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    An ipconfig /all for when you are connected to the old modem may give some clues to etaf or onsite.

Also I'll remind that "when changing modems sometimes you have to register the new one with the ISP." I know this is the requirement with my cable provider; have no idea if it ever applies to DSL, but suggest that it is worth a specific question to your ISP tech support.

Apparently AOL gives many routers fits. Have you checked the AOL site to see if they say anything pro or con about your modem/router?

5. M_Mike

M_Mike Thread Starter

I think I have solved the problem. I downloaded an installer from aol it was for a DG834G router but it seems to have fixed the settings and I can now access the internet through the router.

I will mark this thread solved once I have checked and tested the connection.

6. M_Mike

M_Mike Thread Starter

Thanks to onsite, etaf and terrynet for all your help and for taking the time to help me with this problem. I have now marked it as solved as the internet access is working fine. I'm now going to look at setting the security options but at least everything is now working

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice