Solved: Apache err 'File does not exist'

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cearlp

Apache says my .html file doesn't exist and it is type 'HTML~File'. It finds another .html file in the same folder but it is 'HTML Document' type.
Is there a way to change a file type of 'HTML File' to 'HTML Document' ?

tomdkat

Retired Trusted Advisor
Could you post the exact Apache error message?

Thanks!

Peace...

cearlp

tomdkat,
Thanks for the quick response.

It is in the apache error log file and says:
[date & time] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/Apache/htdocs/memsearch.html

Hope this helps.

tomdkat

Retired Trusted Advisor
Thanks for posting the message. In your htdocs folder, is there a file named memsearch.html? Is this the file you say is a 'HTML~File' when you view it in Windows Explorer?

Peace...

cearlp

Yes, the file that came with apache is index.html and it works fine. It is shown as filetype HTML Document whereas memsearch.html is listed as an HTML~File.

Again, thanks

tomdkat

Retired Trusted Advisor
How did you create the memsearch.html file? Which tool did you use to create it? Can you open it in Notepad and does it open ok?

Peace...

cearlp

I created it with Vim ( a vi like editor) but I have opened it in Notepad and saved it as filetype .html, .htm.

tomdkat

Retired Trusted Advisor
I'm familiar with vim. memsearch.html is in C:/Apache/htdocs as well as the index.html file that does work? Can you post a screenshot of how your C:/Apache/htdocs folder looks in Windows Explorer? Be sure to display the files in the "Details" view.

Peace...

cearlp

It will take a bit of time since I am not on that machine at the moment. The index.html file has an icon of IE which opens with Internet Explorer whereas memsearch,html has an icon of Vim which opens with Vim in edit mode, from what I can determine from the File Types tag under the Folder Options menu. Do you know if it s possiblle to change the actions that are associated with File Types?

cearlp

Sorry, The screen shot is too large to upload. I'm working on getting it smaller

cearlp

Sorry again. Using your instructions I can't seem to cut the file down to be small enough to upload.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online