1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: appcompat.txt crashing explorer in a Domain environment.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Numpty123, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numpty123

Numpty123 Thread Starter

Hi,

We currently have a customer getting a shlwapi.dll failure. I know its not a system failure and i know its not a virus.

The user logs into a domain enviroment and logs onto multiple machines between windows xp and windows 7.
    The user only gets this error when he logs onto any xp machine, however other users do not get explorer crash dumps. Ive looked through a lot of forums looking for an answer and tried only a few, due to me not being on site. Its got to be profile related to that user. GPOs are applying correctly. application crash dump in event logs are showing. I have deletet the below file location, but as i expected it will recreate itself on logon

C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\{id}_appcompat.txt error, application crash event id 1000

any ideas would be awesome

2. Numpty123

Numpty123 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have resolved the problem, i had to disable offline files (which souldnt be applied any way) that seems to have stopped the crash dump on xp. Does any one know why offline files would corrupt exporer.exe. i think its files conflicting with the offline cash, but thats just a stab in the dark. Anything would be awesome.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1094611

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice